From: "Gerhard Häring" <g.haering@___skynamics.com.invalid>
Subject: Re: Another good URL for all you C++ haters
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2001 14:22:33 +0200
Date: 2001-09-05T14:22:33+02:00	[thread overview]

Chris M. Moore wrote:
> http://www.byte.com/documents/s=1271/byt20010831s0001/0903_nichols.html
>
> Excerpt:
>
>   Even Floyd, who loves the language, admits that, "Its greatest
>   weaknesses is a flaw in the interface/implementation separation. A
>   class exposes its private data/methods to the world and a programmer
>   must use some tricks (that should be supported directly in the
>   language) to overcome this."
>
> Whay I'd really like to see which would give Ada a huge lead over Java
> would be a tool which takes C++ declarations and produced Ada
> bindings.  The GNAT User manual hints that such a tool exists but
> states that ACT don't distribute it.

Could you tell us where in the manual to find this hint?

> I remember seeing something
> somewhere about bindings being generated automatically by SGI.  Are
> these tools still available?`

You can google for "c2ada" and "cbind".

IMO these tools inevitably suck because complicated C headers with lots
of #defines (even parts of structs conditionally defined in and out and
such; nested structs, ...) don't map nicely to Ada (for pyAda, I ended
up writing all the interfacing stuff by hand).

That's why COM, CORBA, XPCOM and friends where invited. Have an IDL/type
library describe the interface and create correct bindings for your
language automatically.

Gerhard
--
Gerhard H�ring