* Announce : Visual Ada Developer  VAD 5.5  Leonid Dulman
@ 2001-08-30 14:58 Leonid
From: Leonid @ 2001-08-30 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

   V I S U A L  A D A   D E V E L O P E R  (VAD) version 5.5

    VAD ( Visual Ada Developer ) is a tcl/tk oriented Ada-95 GUI builder
which portable to difference platforms, such as Windows
NT/9x,Unix(Linux),
Mac  and OS/2.

  What's new
 1. New widget html (power html viewer) from addwidgets and scrolled
widgets pages

 2. New widgets from Scrolled Widgets page : scrolled
text,canvas,listbox, mclistbox and html

 3. From Wizard -> Tcl Script menu you may
    Create window (in canvas or text ...) and use it as scrollable frame;
    Build configure script;
    Build bind script.

 4. Support for XBit package multimedia and mpeg movie (see mpegmovie
sample)
    You may see all samples and work with it directly from Image -> XBit
menu

 5. Support  for Tkogl package (OpenGL).

 6. XmlAda package by Emmanuel Briot <briot@act-europe.fr>

 7. Tutorial
    You may run tutorial in WEB Browser. File  vad\tutorial\vadtutor.htm

 VAD 5.5 has four  realization  for tcl/tk 8.0.x,for tcl/tk 8.2.3,tcl/tk
8.3.3
     and for tcl/tk 8.4a3 (last version).

   This is a version 5.5  and I hope it will be useful for Ada
programmers
 and easy in work.
   This is an effective way to build gui oriented system independent
applications  in pure ADA-95.

Full VAD Directory tree

VAD   -- root directory
        rcom       -- common rcom package files tree in VAD root direcory
 adagraph   -- adgraph package
 AdaOpenGL  -- Ada to OpenGL interface
 ased       -- ased IDL
 august     -- august HTML editor
 BWidget    -- BWidgets source files
 corba      -- Corba Ada Interface spacification
 csh        -- Xterminal package
 fve        -- FVE file editor
 gifs       -- gifs image collection
 help       -- Help files in HTML format tree with subdirectories
 idl        -- Corba to Ada translator
 image      -- bitmap collection
 linux      -- linux binaries and unix build components
 samples    -- Samples directories tree
 tkpaint    -- Tkpaint image editor
 tutorial   -- VAD tutorial files in HTML format
 vad55src   -- VAD sources (without common rcom tree packages)
 whiteboard -- Whiteboard image processor
 win32      -- Windows binaries and componenets
 xbit       -- XBit image processor
 xml        -- XML parser files
 XmlAda     -- XMLADA parser package

    VAD 5.5 supports many of image formats such as

BMP, XBM, XPM, GIF (with transparency), PNG, JPEG, TIFF and
postscript.  To use it you need to load Img1.2 package

 1. Base  TCL/TK widgets

 toplevel frame button radiobutton checkbutton menubutton label entry
 listbox canvas message menu item scrollbox scale text

 2. BWidgets (1.3.1)

Button Label Entry ListBox
ArrowButton ProgressBar MainFrame LabelFrame LabelEntry TitleFrame
Dialog ScrolledWindow PanedWindow ButtonBox NoteBook (Page) SpinBox
Tree MessageDlg ProgressDlg ScrollableFrame ScrollView PagesManager
PasswdDlg

3. Widgets from  Bryan Oakley

combobox mclistBox

4. Direct executable Tcl script

TclScript

5. table widget from Tktable package

6. cscrollbar widget

7. html  widget

8. Scrolled widgets
   text canvas listbox mclistbox  html

 VAD 5.5 has internal tcl packages support from Packages menu and
 internal text editor (Fve) , HTML editor (August) , XML parser
 and IDL(corba) to Ada-95 translator

 If you have instaled Oratcl 2.6(2.7,3.2) package and loaded it, you may
directly work with Oracle server from Oracle menu or DBNavigator.

 VAD 5.5 is available in http://www.websamba.com/ldulman/vad.htm

 You may dowload sources vad55scr.zip, vadhlp.zip, adahlp.zip,vadtcl.zip,
                 vadsmp.zip,adastyle.zip,philosophers.zip,vadidl.zip,vadt
utor.zip.
                 and binaries vad55win.zip, tcl84win.zip (WINDOWS 9x/NT)
                              vad55lin.zip, tcl84lin.zip (OpenLinux
2.x,RedHat 6.x 7.x)

  Leonid Dulman(dulman@attglobal.net)

* Re: Announce : Visual Ada Developer  VAD 5.5  Leonid Dulman
@ 2001-08-30 15:39 ` Marc A. Criley
From: Marc A. Criley @ 2001-08-30 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Leonid wrote:

>    V I S U A L  A D A   D E V E L O P E R  (VAD) version 5.5
>
>     VAD ( Visual Ada Developer ) is a tcl/tk oriented Ada-95 GUI builder
> which portable to difference platforms, such as Windows
> NT/9x,Unix(Linux),
> Mac  and OS/2.

Leonid has demonstrated quite a commitment to developing and upgrading
VAD.  But I rarely see any mention of it outside of his upgrade
announcements.  Anyone have any experience they'd care to share?

Just curious...

Marc A. Criley