From: Mark Johnson <mark_h_johnson@raytheon.com>
Subject: Re: Compilation halts on GNAT 3-13p, RedHat6.2 Linux
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 16:01:04 -0500
Date: 2001-08-20T16:01:04-05:00	[thread overview]

Frank wrote:

> Hi!
>
> The following code causes my compilation to halt (possibly loop forever).
> It's beyond doubt that there are errors in the code, but the compilator
> doesn't output anything.
> My GNAT/gtk is recompiled with s-stratt.ad? for GLADE.
> Could there be someone that could try to compile this on a un-GLADE GNAT
> 3-13p installation,
> and give me the result? Please also note which parameters you succeded with
> .

Hmm. Very odd. GNAT 3.15w goes into an infinite loop with the code you
provided.

You can compile the spec w/o any problems [other than the obvious errors].
  gcc -c -O2 pa_tennis_engine.ads

You can replace the assignment statement in the body w/ a null; & it compiles
[with errors].
  gcc -c -O2 pa_tennis_engine.adb
  pa_tennis_engine.ads:6:01: "PA_POSITION" is undefined (more references
follow)

If you generate a dummy procedure for Get_L_Racket such as...
    procedure Get_L_Racket(P_Pos : out PA_POSITION.Type_Position) is
    begin
       null;
    end;
you get the following error messages...
  gcc -c -O2 pa_tennis_engine.adb
  pa_tennis_engine.adb:20:45: prefix must statically denote a remote subprogram

  pa_tennis_engine.adb:20:45: not subtype conformant with declaration at
unknown location
  pa_tennis_engine.adb:20:45: functions can only match functions
  pa_tennis_engine.ads:6:01: "PA_POSITION" is undefined (more references
follow)

Once you did that & then comment it out, you still get the same set of error
messages.

Again, very odd - obviously you are exercising a piece of code that doesn't get
tested very often :-).

Needless to say - the code is broke. I was looking through the ARM E.2.3 & it
looks like you are violating one of those restrictions. The errors above may
give you a hint as to which one is being violated.
  --Mark
PS: The last one of these I noticed & forwarded to ACT, they had a fix quite
quickly. Of course, you need support to get the updated version in a timely
manner.