From: Mark Johnson <mark_h_johnson@raytheon.com>
Subject: Re: Documentation Standards
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 08:52:35 -0500
Date: 2001-08-16T08:52:35-05:00	[thread overview]

"John R. Strohm" wrote:

> Back in the Middle Ages of military software development, we had
> DOD-STD-2167A and all the related Data Item Descriptions.  It used to be
> possible to go out on the Web and download a full set of same, or you could
> get it from your friendly neighborhood company specifications and standards
> library.  (I went through that exercise, a few times, with MIL-STD-1679,
> DOD-STD-2167, and DOD-STD-2167A.)
>
> Last I heard, DOD-STD-2167A had been dropped, and the successor project,
> DOD-STD-SDS, was terminated, with the idea being instead to use equivalent
> commercial specification standards.
>
> Does anyone know what the "equivalent" standards are, and where I can scrape
> up a set, and how much it will cost me?  ("Free" is a very good answer: this
> is something I'm doing on my own, rather than something my employer wants me
> to spend time and money doing.)
>
> Alternatively, if anyone can point me at a bootleg site with the full set
> for DOD-STD-2167A, i.e., the standard and all the related DIDs, that would
> also be good.
>
> Thanks for all answers.
>
> --John R. Strohm

A couple minute search using Altavista found a copy of the following "notice of
cancellation" for MIL-STD-498 (the successor to 2167A). As mentioned below, the
IEEE has current standards that you can purchase, subscribe to, etc. I doubt
the pricing is current :-).
  --Mark
-----

Notice of
      Cancellation
                                     IEEE/EIA 12207 Standard for
                                     Software Life Cycle Processing

MIL-STD-498

Notice 1

May 27, 1998

      MIL-STD-498, dated 5 December 1994 has been cancelled as of May 27, 1998.
Information regarding software development and
      documentation is now contained in IEEE/EIA 12207, "Information
Technology-Software Life Cycle Processes." The most reliable sources for
      IEEE/EIA 12207 are:

          IEEE OPERATIONS CENTER
          445 HOES LANE
          PO BOX 1331
          PISCATAWAY NJ 08855-1331
          1-800-678-4333
          http://www.ieee.org or
          http://standards.ieee.org/catalog/contents.html
          customer.service@ieee.org

          OR

          GLOBAL ENGINEERING
          15 INVERNESS WAY EAST
          ENGLEWOOD CO 80112
          Tel: 800-854-7179
          Fax: 303-397-2740
          http://global.ihs.com

          Ask for:

          IEEE/EIA 12207 Standard Series for Software Life Cycle Processes
Package

            1.IEEE/EIA 12207.0, "Standard for Information Technology- Software
Life Cycle Processes."
            2.IEEE/EIA 12207.1, "Guide for ISO/IEC 12207, "Standard for
Information Technology-Software Life Cycle Processes-Life
              Cycle Data."
            3.IEEE/EIA 12207.2, "Guide for ISO/IEC 12207, "Standard for
Information Technology-Software Life Cycle
              Processes-Implementation Considerations."

          Product No. SH94603 (at the IEEE/EIA Piscataway NJ Office)
          Non-member cost: $153.00 plus $8.00 Handling
          Free UPS ground shipping within the US