* problems installing gnat 3.13p on Windows 2000?
@ 2001-08-09 15:06 Steve Vestal
From: Steve Vestal @ 2001-08-09 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm having trouble installing gnat 3.13p on Windows 2000, and I
haven't been able to find any errata lists by searching.  Any
suggestions would be most welcome.

I had no problems on NT. I'm just trying to install the same version
of gnat, then gnatmake the same application with the same options, on
a new PC.

I had to add the path to the environment variable Path by hand, I
don't remember having to do this for NT.

An install into C:\Program Files\gnat causes errors when gnatmake
runs, but an install into C:\gnu\gnat seems to allow successful
builds.

I still can't get gdb to work, it launches but can't seem to find and
display the source files for the program being debugged. I speculated
this might be due to spaces in paths, but moving everything so paths
are completely POSIX-like doesn't help.

Steve

* Re: problems installing gnat 3.13p on Windows 2000?
@ 2001-08-09 17:28 ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2001-08-09 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <vc5itfxxoh1.fsf@grinch.htc.honeywell.com>, Steve Vestal says...
>I still can't get gdb to work, it launches but can't seem to find and
>display the source files for the program being debugged. I speculated
>this might be due to spaces in paths, but moving everything so paths
>are completely POSIX-like doesn't help.

That looks like what I get when I don't compile with "-g". By default, the
compiler doesn't give you the debug symbols you need to succesfully run the
debugger. You have to specificly tell it to do so with "-g".

If that is what it was, don't feel bad about missing something so simple. I do
this to myself all the time, and it always takes me an appallingly long time to
figure out what the problem is. You'd think I'd learn...

---

* Re: problems installing gnat 3.13p on Windows 2000?
@ 2001-08-10  2:43 ` DuckE
From: DuckE @ 2001-08-10  2:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

FWIW: I have gnat 3.13p running on Windows 2000 and am not experiencing any
problems.

SteveD

@ 2001-08-10  7:12 ` Gautier
From: Gautier @ 2001-08-10  7:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

> An install into C:\Program Files\gnat causes errors when gnatmake
> runs, but an install into C:\gnu\gnat seems to allow successful
> builds.

This causes problems on NT sometimes too. A "regedit" on GNAT
registration keys fixes it, by using short DOS names. The ' '
disturbs gnatmake. The installation has been fixed in 3.14.

G.

* Re: problems installing gnat 3.13p on Windows 2000?
@ 2001-08-10 15:10   ` Warren W. Gay VE3WWG
From: Warren W. Gay VE3WWG @ 2001-08-10 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gautier wrote:
> > An install into C:\Program Files\gnat causes errors when gnatmake
> > runs, but an install into C:\gnu\gnat seems to allow successful
> > builds.
>
> This causes problems on NT sometimes too. A "regedit" on GNAT
> registration keys fixes it, by using short DOS names. The ' '
> disturbs gnatmake. The installation has been fixed in 3.14.

I have also found that shell scripts made to run on NT often "break"
on pathnames with blanks in them (GtkAda is where I encountered
this last). UNIX people don't always program defensively in shell
scripts for blanks in file names, usually because they were at
one time, a rare thing under UNIX (apart from Samba shares etc.),
and it's lazier programming ;-)
--
Warren W. Gay VE3WWG
http://members.home.net/ve3wwg