From: Mark Johnson <mark_h_johnson@raytheon.com>
Subject: Re: Data_Error - Where in this code?
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2001 08:53:01 -0500
Date: 2001-08-07T08:53:01-05:00	[thread overview]

Stewart wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Help'
>
> The two procedures work seperately on Linux and jointly on Win98.
> On linux I get the following data error using gnatmake.
>
> a-tiinio.adb:71 instantiated at latest.adb:9

Hmm. Not on my system. I get the following messages from gnatmake....

$ gnatmake -g -k -f latest
gcc -c -g latest.adb
latest.adb:14:64: warning: "Max_Size" may be referenced before it has a value
gnatbind -x latest.ali
gnatlink -g latest.ali
/usr/gnat/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/2.8.1/adalib/libgnat.a(a-adaint.o): In
function `__gnat_tmp_name':
a-adaint.o(.text+0x504): the use of `tmpnam' is dangerous, better use `mkstemp'

And if you try to run the program, STORAGE_ERROR is raised at line 14 because
Max_Size is indeed referenced before it has a value.

This is with gnat 3.15w (and I assume 3.14a1) as well.

The error you refer to points to where DATA_ERROR is raised in the Ada run time. It
would indicate that your input file doesn't have an integer at the point you are
trying to read. You may wish to put in a little debug code to see what characters the
program is trying to read when "get" is being called. [or alternatively, resend the
program with a sample input file...]

  --Mark