From: Shayne Flint <ainsliesoftware@ozemail.com.au>
Subject: Re: Which OO is in ??
Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2001 20:30:54 +1000
Date: 2001-08-04T20:30:54+10:00	[thread overview]

Hambut wrote:

> Shlaer-Mellor is a possibility, but I believe that S-M vendors are
> starting to re-align to UML.

Shlaer-Mellor is a 'method'.

UML is a no more than a 'notation'.

They are different things.

Models produced when using the Shlaer-Mellor 'method' can be 'represented' using different 'notations'
including Shlaer-Mellor's notation or UML.

So, this so-called 're-alignment' is no more than vendors supporting UML as a 'notation' - it has not changed
the Shlaer-Mellor method in any way at all!

BTW - Having just taught 140 3rd year students the Shlaer-Mellor method, I believe that software engineers
can gain a great deal from a good understanding of what the Shlaer-Mellor method is all about, where UML fits
in, and most importantly the benefits of the translative approach that Shaler-Mellor is (ie. the use of
clearly defined rules to translate application models into code in accordance with a separately specified,
and often reusable, architecture).

-- Shayne Flint, MIEAust, CPEng        shayne@ainslie-software.com
-- Ainslie Software Pty Limited    http://www.ainslie-software.com