* Ada book recommendations
@ 2001-08-02 20:52 Genro Kane Gupta
From: Genro Kane Gupta @ 2001-08-02 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

I asked last week for recommendations about on-line (or other remote)
training in Ada, and received no reply here, and only one comment in
email--an offer of a course that doesn't sound quite right for me.

So I talked to my boss, and he checked the requirements for our "training"
hours, and we determined that OJT would be acceptable.  I am now planning
to buy some undetermined number of good books on Ada95 on the company
dime, and lay in bed sucking down Pepsi while reading them on the company
clock.  Sound cynical?  That's only because I am.  But I see this as a
golden opportunity to get some good literature on a subject I really am
interested in--I write free software it Ada on my own time.

Therefore, *now* my question is, what are some good titles?  Cost is
clearly not much of an issue; the company is getting a bargain compared to
formal training.  Books aimed at, or "suitable" for self-study would be
nice, but not necessary.  I learn very well from books:  I learned C from
reading K&R (no, really!).  Accurate and comprehensive are more the
adjectives I'm looking for.  Oh, and I'm really interested in books at an
intermediate to advanced level, or at least ones that cover more than just
the basics.  I've been programming in Ada83 since 1981 (or was it '79?),
and started using Ada95 when it was called Ada9x.  But there's certainly
more I could learn, so name yer titles, folks.

Many thanks in advance!

--
Not Genro, I just play him on the net

   With Seven Servers In California And Texas - The Worlds Uncensored News Source

* Re: Ada book recommendations
@ 2001-08-02 21:26 ` Marin David Condic
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Marin David Condic @ 2001-08-02 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

There are a number of books you will find at http://www.adapower.org/  I
personally like: Programming in Ada 95 (Barnes) as a sort of full-up text on
the subject and I like Ada Programming Essentials: Overview, Examples and
Glossary (Crawford) for a get-up-to-speed-quick look at Ada. Others have
their favorites so I'm sure you'll get recommendations for several other
books. (Ada as a Second Language (Cohen) has a certain following as well.)

Learning a language from a textbook for someone who is already literate in
programming in general is a perfectly good way to go. Get the Gnat compiler,
sit down with the book, start hacking on the examples. Within a week, you
should be able to use the language effectively for most programming
problems. It takes a while to really master a language, but you tend to do
that while doing "real" work.

MDC
--
Marin David Condic
Senior Software Engineer

http://www.uncensored-news.com

@ 2001-08-02 23:42   ` Jerry Petrey
From: Jerry Petrey @ 2001-08-02 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

The three that Marin listed would be my recommendation also and
in that order.

Look at:
http://www.seas.gwu.edu/~mfeldman/ada95books.html#1
for a good list of books also.  I have a short review of
"Ada Essentials:Overview, Examples and Glossary" there
as well.

Jerry
-- Jerry Petrey
-- Senior Principal Systems Engineer - Navigation, Guidance, & Control
-- Raytheon Missile Systems          - Member Team Ada & Team Forth
-- NOTE: please remove <NOSPAM> in email address to
reply

Marin David Condic wrote:

> There are a number of books you will find at http://www.adapower.org/  I
> personally like: Programming in Ada 95 (Barnes) as a sort of full-up text on
> the subject and I like Ada Essentials: Overview, Examples and
> Glossary (Crawford) for a get-up-to-speed-quick look at Ada. Others have
> their favorites so I'm sure you'll get recommendations for several other
> books. (Ada as a Second Language (Cohen) has a certain following as well.)
>
> Learning a language from a textbook for someone who is already literate in
> programming in general is a perfectly good way to go. Get the Gnat compiler,
> sit down with the book, start hacking on the examples. Within a week, you
> should be able to use the language effectively for most programming
> problems. It takes a while to really master a language, but you tend to do
> that while doing "real" work.
>
> MDC
> --
> Marin David Condic
> Senior Software Engineer
> Pace Micro Technology Americas    www.pacemicro.com
> Enabling the digital revolution
> e-Mail:    marin.condic@pacemicro.com
> Web:      http://www.mcondic.com/
>
> "Genro Kane Gupta" <genro@niestu.com> wrote in message
> > I asked last week for recommendations about on-line (or other remote)
> > training in Ada, and received no reply here, and only one comment in
> > email--an offer of a course that doesn't sound quite right for me.
> >
> > So I talked to my boss, and he checked the requirements for our "training"
> > hours, and we determined that OJT would be acceptable.  I am now planning
> > to buy some undetermined number of good books on Ada95 on the company
> > dime, and lay in bed sucking down Pepsi while reading them on the company
> > clock.  Sound cynical?  That's only because I am.  But I see this as a
> > golden opportunity to get some good literature on a subject I really am
> > interested in--I write free software it Ada on my own time.
> >
> > Therefore, *now* my question is, what are some good titles?  Cost is
> > clearly not much of an issue; the company is getting a bargain compared to
> > formal training.  Books aimed at, or "suitable" for self-study would be
> > nice, but not necessary.  I learn very well from books:  I learned C from
> > reading K&R (no, really!).  Accurate and comprehensive are more the
> > adjectives I'm looking for.  Oh, and I'm really interested in books at an
> > intermediate to advanced level, or at least ones that cover more than just
> > the basics.  I've been programming in Ada83 since 1981 (or was it '79?),
> > and started using Ada95 when it was called Ada9x.  But there's certainly
> > more I could learn, so name yer titles, folks.
> >
> > Many thanks in advance!
> >
> > --

* Re: Ada book recommendations
@ 2001-08-03  0:10 ` Peter Milliken
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Peter Milliken @ 2001-08-03  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sounds like you already know the language basics, so I would have a close
look at "Ada as a Second Language" by Norman H. Cohen. This is your typical
"encyclopedic" type book that the programmer who is past the basics requires
on his or her shelf. When I used to code in Ada I used it all the time (even
though I had plenty of the books for the beginner/intermediate programmer).
So, whilst there is nothing wrong with the other books recommended, this
will most likely be where you end up anyway, so you might as well go
straight to it :-)

Goodluck,
Peter

@ 2001-08-03  2:01     ` tmoran
From: tmoran @ 2001-08-03  2:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

If you already know Ada pretty well, I'd add "Concurrency in Ada" 2d ed,
Burns and Wellings, ISBN 0 521 62911X
and, for light on some dark corners of Ada 83, "Exploring Ada" vols 1 & 2,
Bryan and Mendal, ISB 0-13-295684-5 & ISBN 0-13-297227-1

* Re: Ada book recommendations
@ 2001-08-03  3:32 ` Mike Silva
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Mike Silva @ 2001-08-03  3:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Genro Kane Gupta" <genro@niestu.com> wrote in message news:<3b69bd65$1_6@news3.uncensored-news.com>...
> I asked last week for recommendations about on-line (or other remote)
> training in Ada, and received no reply here, and only one comment in
> email--an offer of a course that doesn't sound quite right for me.
>
> So I talked to my boss, and he checked the requirements for our "training"
> hours, and we determined that OJT would be acceptable.  I am now planning
> to buy some undetermined number of good books on Ada95 on the company
> dime, and lay in bed sucking down Pepsi while reading them on the company
> clock.  Sound cynical?  That's only because I am.  But I see this as a
> golden opportunity to get some good literature on a subject I really am
> interested in--I write free software it Ada on my own time.
>
> Therefore, *now* my question is, what are some good titles?  Cost is
> clearly not much of an issue; the company is getting a bargain compared to
> formal training.  Books aimed at, or "suitable" for self-study would be
> nice, but not necessary.  I learn very well from books:  I learned C from
> reading K&R (no, really!).  Accurate and comprehensive are more the
> adjectives I'm looking for.  Oh, and I'm really interested in books at an
> intermediate to advanced level, or at least ones that cover more than just
> the basics.  I've been programming in Ada83 since 1981 (or was it '79?),
> and started using Ada95 when it was called Ada9x.  But there's certainly
> more I could learn, so name yer titles, folks.
>
> Many thanks in advance!

I'd put Cohen's "Ada as a Second Language" and the Ada Rationale at
the top of my list.

Mike

* Re: Ada book recommendations
@ 2001-08-03 10:02       ` Ehud Lamm
From: Ehud Lamm @ 2001-08-03 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

<tmoran@acm.org> wrote in message
> If you already know Ada pretty well, I'd add "Concurrency in Ada" 2d ed,
> Burns and Wellings, ISBN 0 521 62911X

This is indeed essential reading if you use tasking - and important and
interesting reading, even if you don't.

I also second the recommendation for Cohen's book, which is my current
favorite (I'll just add that someone told me that it is too dense. I,
however, don't think so myself).

What we don't realy have is a "techniques" book - and this is something
important. I suggest reading Heaney's pattern work (avialable online), hand
in hand with the GoF pattern book.
Trying to follow and extend the examples in the Rationale can also be
rewarding.

Do you have specific areas of interest?

Ehud Lamm

* Re: Ada book recommendations
@ 2001-08-03 12:32   ` Genro Kane Gupta
From: Genro Kane Gupta @ 2001-08-03 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <9kcgiq$36d$1@nh.pace.co.uk>, "Marin David Condic"
<marin.condic.auntie.spam@pacemicro.com> wrote:

> There are a number of books you will find at http://www.adapower.org/  I
> personally like: Programming in Ada 95 (Barnes) as a sort of full-up
> text on the subject and I like Ada Programming Essentials: Overview,
> Examples and Glossary (Crawford) for a get-up-to-speed-quick look at
> Ada. Others have their favorites so I'm sure you'll get recommendations
> for several other books. (Ada as a Second Language (Cohen) has a certain
> following as well.)

Thanks, Marin.  These are getting seconded by several others, and are
titles I've heard discussed before, so they're on the top of my list.

> Learning a language from a textbook for someone who is already literate
> in programming in general is a perfectly good way to go.

I have always found it so.

> Get the Gnat compiler, sit down with the book, start hacking on the
> examples. Within a week, you should be able to use the language
> effectively for most programming problems.

I've had GNAT almost since day one--I remember waiting breathlessly until
it was available for download.  Some time in 1994, I believe, wasn't it?
'93, maybe?

I currently have 3.13p for Linux, but have only been able to find 3.12p
for HP-UX, which is the platform where I'll be doing my conversion work
later this year or early next.  Once the project gets underway, I'm going
to start pushing for my company to buy GNAT from ACT, which they'd be
stupid not to do. (Not that they'd *ever* do anything stupid, oh,
no-o-o-o! <grin>)

I started "hacking on the examples" from a document that was called
"Introducing Ada 9X", prepared for the DoD by John Barnes in February
1993, and have been trying to keep up ever since.  I think it probably
took more than a week for me to get up to speed with the new 9x features,
but much of that was because early versions of GNAT didn't implement them
all.

My problem is one of quantity.  My job has not required me to use Ada
(until I rammed this Ada conversion project down their throats), so all my
use has been "off-hours" work, and I am embarrassed to admit, I haven't
delved into great depth in many areas of the new features.  I know their
names, know how they're supposed to work, have even used them in examples,
but haven't yet fully made them *part* of me, if that makes any sense.

> It takes a while to really master a language, but you tend to do that
> while doing "real" work.

Agreed.  I'm hoping this upcoming project will give me the exposure I need
to advance my Ada skills to the "next level".

Thanks again for the reply.  I'll keep the group posted as to my progress
and that of my project.

--
Not Genro, but I play him on the net

@ 2001-08-03 12:38     ` Genro Kane Gupta
From: Genro Kane Gupta @ 2001-08-03 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3B69E578.AC2EFEA2@west.raytheon.com>, "Jerry Petrey <jdpetrey"
<NOSPAM> wrote:

> The three that Marin listed would be my recommendation also and in that
> order.

You're in good company there, thanks!

> Look at:
> http://www.seas.gwu.edu/~mfeldman/ada95books.html#1 for a good list of
> books also.  I have a short review of "Ada Essentials:Overview, Examples
> and Glossary" there as well.

Good link, and a good review, thanks one more time.

--

@ 2001-08-03 12:42       ` Genro Kane Gupta
From: Genro Kane Gupta @ 2001-08-03 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <YBna7.24659$Kd7.15196504@news1.rdc1.sfba.home.com>, "tmoran"
<tmoran@acm.org> wrote:

> If you already know Ada pretty well, I'd add "Concurrency in Ada" 2d ed,
> Burns and Wellings, ISBN 0 521 62911X and, for light on some dark
> corners of Ada 83, "Exploring Ada" vols 1 & 2, Bryan and Mendal, ISB
> 0-13-295684-5 & ISBN 0-13-297227-1

I like to think I do know Ada pretty well, although I will know it a lot
better by this time next year, I'm sure.  There's knowing, and then
there's *knowing*, having something so deeply ingrained that you "think"
in those terms.  Isn't that sorta what "grok" was originally intended to
mean?  I'm close to grokking Ada95, but I think I could use some good
references, so thanks very much for the recommendations.

--
Not Genro, but I play him on the net

   With Seven Servers In California And Texas - The Worlds Uncensored News Source

* Re: Ada book recommendations
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2001-08-03 12:59 ` John McCabe
From: John McCabe @ 2001-08-03 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

My suggestion would be "Ada As A Second Language" by Norman Cohen. I don't
have the ISBN or publisher but it would be easy to find on one of the online
bookstores.

@ 2001-08-03 13:04         ` Genro Kane Gupta
From: Genro Kane Gupta @ 2001-08-03 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <9kdsua$no$1@news.huji.ac.il>, "Ehud Lamm"
<mslamm@mscc.huji.ac.il> wrote:

> <tmoran@acm.org> wrote in message
>> If you already know Ada pretty well, I'd add "Concurrency in Ada" 2d
>> ed, Burns and Wellings, ISBN 0 521 62911X
>
> This is indeed essential reading if you use tasking - and important and
> interesting reading, even if you don't.

I've "used" tasking in the sense that I've compiled and understood several
examples of it (the philosophers come readily to mind), and given some
time and a sufficiently non-critical audience, I could probably churn out
a credible tasking application from scratch.  But it's certainly an area
in which I feel "soft", so the recommendation is much appreciated.

> I also second the recommendation for Cohen's book ...

As have several others.  It has moved to the top of my list.

> (I'll just add that someone told me that it is too dense. I, however,
> don't think so myself).

For me, dense is good. <g>

> What we don't realy have is a "techniques" book - and this is something
> important. I suggest reading Heaney's pattern work (avialable online),
> hand in hand with the GoF pattern book. Trying to follow and extend the
> examples in the Rationale can also be rewarding.

Ahh, design patterns.  Another area I've brushed against but haven't
explored in depth.  I have so far viewed patterns in the same sense as I
viewed the introduction of TDSP and OO--touted by many as a silver bullet,
full of useful concepts that I'll adopt myself once I get around to it,
but a bit over-hyped in general.  Am I wrong?

I want to learn more about them--can you give me specific references to
the above works, or any others you deem valuable?

> Do you have specific areas of interest?

I am coming from two angles:  first, and to me foremost, I want to become
more proficient in Ada95 for my own use.  I have several personal projects
in the design stage that I'd like to see move forward into implementation
and release, and would like them to use the language as it was intended,
not as my own prejudices and somewhat superficial exposure would force me
to.  In that area, I am interested in everything--tasking, generics,
controlled types--all the OO and advanced features this modern language
has to offer.

Secondly, I'm interested in doing an honest and worthy job on my company's
conversion effort.  We have a quarter of a million lines of
proprietary-dialect Pascal comprising our software development tools:
compiler (one of my jobs is maintaining our in-house P4-based Pascal
compiler, as well as all these other tools), assembler, linker, loader,
symbolic debugger, and a buttload of other goofy tools needed to produce
our product.

Our old platform went away, so we're moving to a new platform (which will
probably go away around the time this project is complete, if history is
any guide), and I somehow convinced management that porting it to yet
another proprietary Pascal, or to C, would be a bad decision.  So that
project probably won't use tasking, but a comfortable knowledge of the
breadth of the target language will undoubtedly make the job much easier.

Thanks for your reply, Ehud.  I'll move the Concurrency book up a notch on
my list.

--

@ 2001-08-03 13:07   ` Genro Kane Gupta
From: Genro Kane Gupta @ 2001-08-03 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <9kcq9l$j8f2@news1.gtech.com>, "Peter Milliken"
<peter.milliken@gtech.com> wrote:

> Sounds like you already know the language basics ...

I like to think so. <g>

> ... so I would have a
> close look at "Ada as a Second Language" by Norman H. Cohen.

Yet another recommendation for this book.  I've gotta have it!

> ... this will most likely be where you end up anyway, so you might as
> well go straight to it :-)

You've convinced me.  I'm working up my Fatbrain order even as we speak.

> Goodluck,

Thank you, sir.  I'm sure I'll need it.

--

@ 2001-08-03 13:09   ` Genro Kane Gupta
From: Genro Kane Gupta @ 2001-08-03 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <5267be60.0108021932.4b4a88fc@posting.google.com>, "Mike Silva"
<mjsilva@jps.net> wrote:

> I'd put Cohen's "Ada as a Second Language" and the Ada Rationale at the
> top of my list.

Cohen has gotten several recommendations, and I thank you for adding
yours.  I'll let you all know what I think of the book once it arrives.

--

@ 2001-08-03 13:19           ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2001-08-03 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 3 Aug 2001 14:04:20 +0100, Genro Kane Gupta wrote:
> As have several others.  It has moved to the top of my list.

I have both the Barnes book (note you must get the 2nd edition not the
first) and Choen book. I feel that the Barnes book is denser and the
Choen book supply more/better example so it is easier to learn Ada from.

[snip, about patterns]
> I want to learn more about them--can you give me specific references to
> the above works, or any others you deem valuable?

Check out http://www.adapower.com/source.html most patterns are
available there. Here is the Ada Patterns list:

   http://www.acm.org/archives/patterns.html

Preben
--
�Don't use C;  In my opinion,  C is a library programming language
 not an app programming language.�  - Owen Taylor (GTK+ developer)

Use Ada 95, a free language. More info at http://www.adapower.com/

* Re: Ada book recommendations
@ 2001-08-03 13:28     ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2001-08-03 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 3 Aug 2001 14:09:12 +0100, Genro Kane Gupta wrote:
> In article <5267be60.0108021932.4b4a88fc@posting.google.com>, "Mike Silva"
><mjsilva@jps.net> wrote:
>
>> I'd put Cohen's "Ada as a Second Language" and the Ada Rationale at the
>> top of my list.
>
> Cohen has gotten several recommendations, and I thank you for adding
> yours.  I'll let you all know what I think of the book once it arrives.

I don't say that you shouldn't get the Ada Rationale book, only that it
is also available online (though you might already know)

Ada Rationale:
http://www.adapower.com/rationale/

Ada Reference Manual:
http://www.adapower.com/rm95/

Ada Quality and Style Guides:
http://www.adahome.com/Resources/refs/aqs.html

Preben
--

@ 2001-08-03 14:23             ` Genro Kane Gupta
From: Genro Kane Gupta @ 2001-08-03 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <slrn9ml9ur.hp.randhol+abuse@kiuk0156.chembio.ntnu.no>, "Preben
Randhol" <randhol+abuse@pvv.org> wrote:

> I have both the Barnes book (note you must get the 2nd edition not the
> first) and Choen book. I feel that the Barnes book is denser and the
> Choen book supply more/better example so it is easier to learn Ada from.

Thanks, Preben, for this and your other reply to my queries.  I plan to
get both the Barnes and Cohen books.  I do indeed know that the ARM and
the Rationale are available on the web.

> Check out http://www.adapower.com/source.html most patterns are
> available there. Here is the Ada Patterns list:

Yes, AdaPower has turned into a remarkable resource.  I have, with
considerable sadness, finally relegated Magnus' AdaHome and the HBAP to my
"secondary links" page, and replaced them on my home page with a link to
AdaPower.

Thanks for the links--I'm sure I'd have found them eventually by prowling
AdaPower.  But there's just so *much* there!  An embarrassment of
riches--we should all be so "unfortuate". <g>

--

@ 2001-08-03 21:54     ` Matthew Woodcraft
From: Matthew Woodcraft @ 2001-08-03 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Genro Kane Gupta" <genro@niestu.com> writes:

> In article <9kcq9l$j8f2@news1.gtech.com>, "Peter Milliken"
> <peter.milliken@gtech.com> wrote:
> > ... so I would have a
> > close look at "Ada as a Second Language" by Norman H. Cohen.
>
> Yet another recommendation for this book.  I've gotta have it!

I also think this is a good book. But be sure to look at the errata list:
http://www.research.ibm.com/people/n/ncohen/a3sl_errata.html

-M-

* Re: Ada book recommendations
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2001-08-04  3:28 ` John Magness
From: John Magness @ 2001-08-04  3:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Genro Kane Gupta wrote:

> I asked last week for recommendations about on-line (or other remote)
> training in Ada, and received no reply here, and only one comment in
> email--an offer of a course that doesn't sound quite right for me.
>
> So I talked to my boss, and he checked the requirements for our "training"
> hours, and we determined that OJT would be acceptable.  I am now planning
> to buy some undetermined number of good books on Ada95 on the company
> dime, and lay in bed sucking down Pepsi while reading them on the company
> clock.  Sound cynical?  That's only because I am.  But I see this as a
> golden opportunity to get some good literature on a subject I really am
> interested in--I write free software it Ada on my own time.
>
> Therefore, *now* my question is, what are some good titles?  Cost is
> clearly not much of an issue; the company is getting a bargain compared to
> formal training.  Books aimed at, or "suitable" for self-study would be
> nice, but not necessary.  I learn very well from books:  I learned C from
> reading K&R (no, really!).  Accurate and comprehensive are more the
> adjectives I'm looking for.  Oh, and I'm really interested in books at an
> intermediate to advanced level, or at least ones that cover more than just
> the basics.  I've been programming in Ada83 since 1981 (or was it '79?),
> and started using Ada95 when it was called Ada9x.  But there's certainly
> more I could learn, so name yer titles, folks.
>
> Many thanks in advance!
>
> --
> Not Genro, I just play him on the net

>    With Seven Servers In California And Texas - The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Cohen's (sp?) book. Very complete, very precise. But your folks will have to learn the
formal vocabulary of CS.  But then if they're going to do some heavy duty Ada 95 work
they must also have the vocabulary.  John English has a very good introductory book
for Ada 95.  Both books have end of chapter problems that are not trivial.  John
English's book has a nice write your own spreadsheet project.

    You know the experience level of your folks.
John

* Re: Ada book recommendations
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2001-08-04  3:33 ` John Magness
From: John Magness @ 2001-08-04  3:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Genro Kane Gupta wrote:

> I asked last week for recommendations about on-line (or other remote)
> training in Ada, and received no reply here, and only one comment in
> email--an offer of a course that doesn't sound quite right for me.
>
> So I talked to my boss, and he checked the requirements for our "training"
> hours, and we determined that OJT would be acceptable.  I am now planning
> to buy some undetermined number of good books on Ada95 on the company
> dime, and lay in bed sucking down Pepsi while reading them on the company
> clock.  Sound cynical?  That's only because I am.  But I see this as a
> golden opportunity to get some good literature on a subject I really am
> interested in--I write free software it Ada on my own time.
>
> Therefore, *now* my question is, what are some good titles?  Cost is
> clearly not much of an issue; the company is getting a bargain compared to
> formal training.  Books aimed at, or "suitable" for self-study would be
> nice, but not necessary.  I learn very well from books:  I learned C from
> reading K&R (no, really!).  Accurate and comprehensive are more the
> adjectives I'm looking for.  Oh, and I'm really interested in books at an
> intermediate to advanced level, or at least ones that cover more than just
> the basics.  I've been programming in Ada83 since 1981 (or was it '79?),
> and started using Ada95 when it was called Ada9x.  But there's certainly
> more I could learn, so name yer titles, folks.
>
> Many thanks in advance!
>
> --
> Not Genro, I just play him on the net

>    With Seven Servers In California And Texas - The Worlds Uncensored News Source

If you're running on Microsoft/Intel platforms you might want to get copies of Aonix
Object Ada.  Pretty cheap at the low end.

    Disavowal: I have no financial relationship with any of my recommendations, other
than having bought the recommended books. We have Object Ada on our NT platforms at
work.
John

* Re: Ada book recommendations
@ 2001-08-04  4:05       ` Warren W. Gay VE3WWG
From: Warren W. Gay VE3WWG @ 2001-08-04  4:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Preben Randhol wrote:
> I don't say that you shouldn't get the Ada Rationale book, only that it
> is also available online (though you might already know)
>
> Ada Rationale:
> http://www.adapower.com/rationale/
>
> Ada Reference Manual:
> http://www.adapower.com/rm95/
>
> Ada Quality and Style Guides:
> http://www.adahome.com/Resources/refs/aqs.html
>
> Preben

Are any of these available as "one big page"?

If they were in "one big page" I could feed them into
http://www.easysw.com/htmldoc/pdf-o-matic.php to get one
PDF file to print off. (using the PDF file, it is easy then
to print odd pages first, then evens to get double sided
copies of these manuals).

Unfortunately, all of these documents seem to be subdivided into
chapters/sections everywhere I went. Other searched links were busted.

--
Warren W. Gay VE3WWG
http://members.home.net/ve3wwg

* Re: Ada book recommendations
@ 2001-08-04  8:27         ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2001-08-04  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 04 Aug 2001 04:05:49 GMT, Warren W. Gay VE3WWG wrote:
> Are any of these available as "one big page"?
>
> If they were in "one big page" I could feed them into
> http://www.easysw.com/htmldoc/pdf-o-matic.php to get one
> PDF file to print off. (using the PDF file, it is easy then
> to print odd pages first, then evens to get double sided
> copies of these manuals).
>
> Unfortunately, all of these documents seem to be subdivided into
> chapters/sections everywhere I went. Other searched links were busted.

There is an PDF at:
   http://www.ada-auth.org/~acats/arm.html

I couldn't find the source (texi?) of the Rational. Perhaps David Botton
has a copy at adapower?

Preben
--

@ 2001-08-05 13:03     ` raj
From: raj @ 2001-08-05 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

The concurrency book is pretty good.
Some of the earlier Booch books are worth reading as well.