From: John Magness <jmagness@swbell.net>
Subject: Re: Ada book recommendations
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2001 22:33:14 -0500
Date: 2001-08-03T22:33:14-05:00	[thread overview]

Genro Kane Gupta wrote:

> I asked last week for recommendations about on-line (or other remote)
> training in Ada, and received no reply here, and only one comment in
> email--an offer of a course that doesn't sound quite right for me.
>
> So I talked to my boss, and he checked the requirements for our "training"
> hours, and we determined that OJT would be acceptable.  I am now planning
> to buy some undetermined number of good books on Ada95 on the company
> dime, and lay in bed sucking down Pepsi while reading them on the company
> clock.  Sound cynical?  That's only because I am.  But I see this as a
> golden opportunity to get some good literature on a subject I really am
> interested in--I write free software it Ada on my own time.
>
> Therefore, *now* my question is, what are some good titles?  Cost is
> clearly not much of an issue; the company is getting a bargain compared to
> formal training.  Books aimed at, or "suitable" for self-study would be
> nice, but not necessary.  I learn very well from books:  I learned C from
> reading K&R (no, really!).  Accurate and comprehensive are more the
> adjectives I'm looking for.  Oh, and I'm really interested in books at an
> intermediate to advanced level, or at least ones that cover more than just
> the basics.  I've been programming in Ada83 since 1981 (or was it '79?),
> and started using Ada95 when it was called Ada9x.  But there's certainly
> more I could learn, so name yer titles, folks.
>
> Many thanks in advance!
>
> --
> Not Genro, I just play him on the net

>    With Seven Servers In California And Texas - The Worlds Uncensored News Source

If you're running on Microsoft/Intel platforms you might want to get copies of Aonix
Object Ada.  Pretty cheap at the low end.

    Disavowal: I have no financial relationship with any of my recommendations, other
than having bought the recommended books. We have Object Ada on our NT platforms at
work.
John