* Re[2]: Ada The Best Language?
@ 2001-07-18 14:40 ANH_VO
From: ANH_VO @ 2001-07-18 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: codesavvy, comp.lang.ada

Codesavvy, for a start, can a linked list be implemented in C++ without pointer?

Subject:    Re: Ada The Best Language?
Author: codesavvy@aol.com (codesavvy)
Date:       7/18/01 3:35 AM

Just to be clear.  I think Ada 95 is a fine programming language that
is suitable for many programming problems.  It may even offer more
advantages than C++ but if it does the differences are not significant
in my mind.  For a programming language to be considered vastly
superior (many Ada advocates do consider Ada to be vastly superior) I
believe that developers utilizing the language should show a
substantial increase in productivity or it should solve a class(es) of
programming problems that another language can't.  I know the second
reason doesn't necessarily mean the language is vastly superior for
all programming problems but it is something to consider.  There may
be some studies that show developers to be significantly more
productive.  If there are I would be interested in reviewing such
studies.  Also I would be interested in those programming problems
that Ada 95 solves that C++ can't.

"Beau" <beau@hiwaay.net> wrote in message
> so the pissing contest begins...
>
> --
> ~Beau~
> beau@hiwaay.net
>
> "codesavvy" <codesavvy@aol.com> wrote in message
> > How come it is not more widely accepted?  The stuff I read here states
> > that it is because the rest of the world is stupid.  From what I can
> > tell there is plenty of crappy code written in Ada.  I think many who
> > share the view that Ada is the best programming language offering
> > significant advantages over other programming language might want to
> > re-think their positions.

* RE: Ada The Best Language?
@ 2001-07-27 22:46 Beard, Frank
From: Beard, Frank @ 2001-07-27 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org'

Aonix still has a way to go.  Documentation is still lacking, but the
online help is okay.  They still assume you will know Windows programming
or will look at an existing Windows programming book (like I want to look
at C/C++ examples).  The GUI builder is easy to use but it still needs
more automated Widgets like Delphi has.  And I wish it had some more
automated tools for interfacing to databases, etc.

You can also produce Java applets with it.  I played with it several
years ago and managed to produce a "Hello world" applet.  And again
it assumes you will know Java, or will be using an existing Java
programming book (like I want to look at Java examples).

Overall I like it, but it's still running behind Delphi and VC++.

Frank

PS.
I think the Professional Edition is ~$595.  The Enterprise Edition is
~$1195 or so, then they have a cross platform version (don't remember
the Edition).  Maybe they'll correct me if I'm wrong on the prices.

From: Beard, Frank @ 2001-07-27 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org'

From: Vinzent Hoefler @ 2001-07-20  6:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Original Message From taw@users.sourceforge.net

>> And of course, the fact that I can run the same executable on DOS,
>> Win3.1, Win98, WinNT, and Win2000 means nothing either. Sure.
>
>You can ?

No, I do.

>Chances of running DOS executable on Win98
>are no bigger than of running Win98 executable on Linux.

I'm developing under Win95/98. Among other things DOS-executables for an
embedded PC. They run perfectly. They even run under NT/2000. Where they
don't
run is Linux' DOS-Emu. Seems, it does not like the port accesses anymore.

So what the hell do you think are you talking about? VMWare? WINE?

Vinzent.

* RE: Ada The Best Language?
@ 2001-07-20  6:23 Vinzent Hoefler
From: Vinzent Hoefler @ 2001-07-20  6:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Original Message From Ted Dennison<dennison@telepath.com>
>In article <3B5FDFA0@MailAndNews.com>, Vinzent Hoefler says...
>>
>>Original Message From Alfred Hilscher <Alfred.Hilscher@icn.siemens.de>
>>
>>>What is the superior feature that justifies the creation of C++ at
>>>a time where Ada were already long available ?
>>
>>Kind of backwards compatibility, I guess. It looks like C.
>
>That's close. I believe the original reason was an attempt to drag C coders
>kicking and screaming into the modern era.

Yes. I think the same applies to Java. Mmh, and I haven't seen C# yet. But
it
"sounds" as it looks like C still.

>It would still have been beter if someone could somehow have made all those C
>coders go "cold turkey" and use something better founded, like Ada.

Yes. Call it lazyness. Let's do tomorrow, what we did today, because we have
done it yesterday. Something like that.

Vinzent.

* RE: Ada The Best Language?
@ 2001-07-20  6:08 Vinzent Hoefler
From: Vinzent Hoefler @ 2001-07-20  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Original Message From taw@users.sourceforge.net

>In article <3B59EE1C@MailAndNews.com>, Vinzent Hoefler wrote:
>>>What class(es) of programming problems does Ada
>>>solve that C++ can't?
>>
>> What programming problems does C++ solve that Assembly language can't?
>
>Portable programming.

Not always, believe me. :-)

Vinzent.

* RE: Ada The Best Language?
@ 2001-07-20  6:05 Vinzent Hoefler
From: Vinzent Hoefler @ 2001-07-20  6:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Original Message From taw@users.sourceforge.net

>>>- very verbose syntax
>>
>> That's what I like in Ada. You see the code. You read the code. You see
what
>> it does. You understand it.
[...]
>I don't care if someone who don't know the language can read it.

Yes. So me. That's why I always stick to assembly. I don't care about the
people that have to maintain my code when I'm left. Got my point?

For the rest: I don't want to fight another language war. Had it too often.
expressed my opinion and some of my experience. You won't change my mind, I
won't change yours, so there's no point in discussing this matter of taste.

Vinzent.

--
Those aren't compiler warnings.
Those are suggestions.

* RE: Ada The Best Language?
@ 2001-07-19 16:10 Vinzent Hoefler
From: Vinzent Hoefler @ 2001-07-19 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Original Message From Alfred Hilscher <Alfred.Hilscher@icn.siemens.de>
>Vinzent Hoefler wrote:
>>
>> Original Message From Alfred Hilscher <Alfred.Hilscher@icn.siemens.de>
>>
>> >What is the superior feature that justifies the creation of C++ at
>> >a time where Ada were already long available ?
>>
>> Kind of backwards compatibility, I guess. It looks like C.
>
>Oh, I asked for the "superior feature" not for the "greatest mistake"
>;-)

I knew that. Anyway, the answer wouldn't be substantially different. :-)

Vinzent.

* RE: Ada The Best Language?
@ 2001-07-19 11:34 Vinzent Hoefler
From: Vinzent Hoefler @ 2001-07-19 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2001-07-19  6:35 Vinzent Hoefler
From: Vinzent Hoefler @ 2001-07-19  6:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Original Message From codesavvy@aol.com (codesavvy)

>> Original Message From codesavvy@aol.com (codesavvy)
>>
>> >What class(es) of programming problems does Ada
>> >solve that C++ can't?
>>
>> What programming problems does C++ solve that Assembly language can't?
>>
>Comparing the difference between Ada and C++ to the difference between
>a higher level language and assembly is very silly.

In fact, not really - as the answer to your question and my question is
obviously the same: Exactly none, but in most cases it does it better.

BTW, I guess, it wouldn't hurt you to have a look at

http://webster.cs.ucr.edu/Page_hla/hla_examples/hla_examples.html

Just to prevent you from thinking that assembly can't be high level.

>It reeks of the arrogance that I am describing.

Yes, I'm arrogant. But that does not have anything to do with the
programming
languages I'm using.

>Thanks for proving my point.

2 is prime. So all even numbers are prime. Is this really what you wanted to
say?

Vinzent.

* RE: Ada The Best Language?
@ 2001-07-19  6:32 Vinzent Hoefler
From: Vinzent Hoefler @ 2001-07-19  6:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2001-07-19  5:42 Vinzent Hoefler
From: Vinzent Hoefler @ 2001-07-19  5:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Original Message From gerhard@bigfoot.de
>On Wed, 18 Jul 2001 04:43:59 -0400, Vinzent Hoefler wrote:
>>Original Message From codesavvy@aol.com (codesavvy)
>>
>>>What class(es) of programming problems does Ada
>>>solve that C++ can't?
>>
>>What programming problems does C++ solve that Assembly language can't?
>
>OOP. Generic programming. Programming in the large. ...

As Lutz already said, this is all possible, although if you really do it,
you
might be a little bit masochistic. ;)

>One might argue that Ada solves them better, though.

That was my point.

Vinzent.

* RE: Ada The Best Language?
@ 2001-07-19  0:15 Beard, Frank
From: Beard, Frank @ 2001-07-19  0:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org'

I generally don't like getting into these discussions because it's
all irrelevant anyway.  The volume (or success) of C++ to Ada has
nothing to do with the relative quality/productivity/superiority
of Ada relative to C++.  It has to do with initial investment.
C (leading into C++) had a 10 or 15 year head start on Ada.  When
Ada came about, most of the C compilers were free, or near free,
while the Ada compilers were very expensive.  When a manager looks
at initial costs (no matter how near-sighted that may be), and says

   "I can use a free, or near free, C compiler, or pay $20+ for an
   Ada compiler.  Let's see which way to go?"

Even with the Ada mandate, there were plenty of groups violating it,
mostly due to cost.  Even when we moved to the PC arena back in 1989,
the Alsys compiler was $5K, while Turbo C was $59.  Even after the big
Alsys price cut, it was still $2500 per copy.  So, the low cost of C
lead to wide use from the home hacker to company software teams, which
led to lots of libraries for just about everything under the sun.
Granted the initial cost argument has not been true for a number
of years now, but it doesn't negate the head start enjoyed by C/C++.

Fortunately, I worked for managers that were not so near-sighted and
chose Ada, but I was around plenty that went the other way.

While I agree with McDoobie that different languages have their
strong points and are better in different situations, the question
"what language is the best" translates, in my mind, to "what is
the best general purpose language".  To me that is Ada (though I
haven't used Eiffel and have only looked at Java).  Not just from
what I've read, but what I've experienced as well.  I've moved
from VAX VMS to LynxOS to IBM MVS back to HP-UX to Windows, with
very little change to code.

Similar C/C++ ports were nightmares.  Anything that had to do
with shared memory (global sections on VAX), threads/processes,
interprocess communication, semaphores, etc., were extremely
painful to port in C/C++.  All of which were nicely taken care of
by highly portable tasks in Ada.  Fortunately, I didn't have to do
an of the C/C++ ports.

Of course Ada can't be the best for all situations (at least not yet),
but if it's good enough to do the job well, then I don't care to
learn the "better" language for that isolated advantage.  I admire
McDoobie and others who can work in multiple languages fluently.
My mind just doesn't work well that way.  I prefer to choose what
I think is the best overall and go with it, until something forces
me to use another.  I've done Assembly (VAX), Fortran, Pascal,
C/C++, and Ada.  I've seen a number of studies over the years that
showed Ada superiority to C/C++ in readability, error detection,
reliability, SLOC reduction, maintainability, etc. But I'm not even
going to bother trying to look them up, because it didn't make a
difference the first time, and it won't make a difference now.

With the huge amount of libraries and interfaces defined for C/C++
(and Java), most C/C++ programmers wouldn't consider switching to
Ada unless it had at least the same amount, and probably not even
then, despite the technical advantages of Ada.  Ada has to at least
catch up, and be able to adapt to new hardware and interfaces as
fast as C/C++.  Plus we need innovation that will put Ada in the
lead instead of playing catch up.  I just wish I knew how to do
it.

Frank

From: Vinzent Hoefler @ 2001-07-18  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2001-07-18  8:32 Vinzent Hoefler
From: Vinzent Hoefler @ 2001-07-18  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Original Message From taw@users.sourceforge.net

>Please append to this list and/or comment about these items:
[...]
>- less freely available real-world example code

I won't need a complete Linux Kernel written in Ada to get familiar with
the language.

>- too strong typing

What? Sorry, but the typing is a great plus. It's true, you have to think a
little more about it when designing types and sometimes this might be a
little
bit annoying ;), but is thinking really that *bad*?

If nothing helps, there's still the feature of Unchecked Type Conversions.
At least you were warned then. :)

>- very verbose syntax

That's what I like in Ada. You see the code. You read the code. You see what
it does. You understand it.

I find "A := A mod 100;" much more readable than "A%=100;"

It says what it does, even if you don't know almost nothing about the
language. Is that a negative? You can read and _understand_ the code even if
you don't read the comments if some there are at all[*]. The problem seems
to be that most programmers are lazy when writing code. OTOH, they then wish
their colleagues to hell when they have to maintain the code until they
realize
that it was their own code. :)

[*] I understand that most Ada programmers probably have a better style in
code documentation anyway. So that's not really a point. :)

>- no printf or equivalent

Oohooh. You don't really need a debugger. ;-)

BTW, printf() almost never does what it looks like.

  printf("The value is %l", some_value);

Quite correct C, IIRC. Are you sure, if it gives you the correct result?

Vinzent.

--
Real programmers don't comment their code.
It was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.

* Ada The Best Language?
@ 2001-07-17 16:38 codesavvy