From: Tucker Taft <stt@avercom.net>
Subject: Re: casecrash: language lawyers: C'mon!
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 16:57:41 -0400
Date: 2001-07-18T20:57:41+00:00	[thread overview]

Peter Hermann wrote:

> short clarification:
> my code clearly shows that I unintentionally overloaded identifier h
> and I am wondering why Ada is not smart enough for context resolution.
> My question still remains whether Ada2005 could be pushed forward
> for such clearly obvious circumstances.

Highly unlikely.  Ada makes a strong distinction
between overloadable declarations (subprograms, entries, and enumerals)
and non-overloadable declarations (everything else).
Allowing more general overloading would dramatically affect
a very delicate part of existing compilers (overload resolution)
and would require a major new benefit to justify it.

In other words, don't hold your breath ;-).

--
-Tucker Taft   stt@avercom.net   http://www.avercom.net
Chief Technology Officer, AverCom Corporation (A Titan Company)