From: John English <je@brighton.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Only one compilation unit.
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2001 10:53:37 +0100
Date: 2001-07-09T11:36:15+00:00	[thread overview]

McDoobie wrote:

> Alright, I'm writing a small program using two procedures.
>
> Now I'm coding both procedures within the same .adb file. When I go to
> compile the program I get an error that says "end of file expected, can
> only have one compilation unit."
>
> Now, that only happens when writing programs with more than one procedure.
>
> Do I have to put each different procedure in a seperate text file?

For GNAT, yes.

Simple solution: if you have x.adb containing procedure Main and procedure Sub,
run "gnatchop x.adb" which will split the procedures into separate files called
main.adb and sub.adb, then run "gnatmake main.adb" which will compile Main and
any other units that it depends on (in this case, Sub). Note that Main will
need to say "with Sub;" at the top...

> Or is
> it necessary to write .ads which describe each and every procedure?

No.

 Senior Lecturer           | http://www.comp.it.bton.ac.uk/je
 Dept. of Computing        | ** NON-PROFIT CD FOR CS STUDENTS **
 University of Brighton    |    -- see http://burks.bton.ac.uk