* Problem with exes on Windows
@ 2001-07-01 21:42 chris.danx
From: chris.danx @ 2001-07-01 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I compiled the following program with GNAT 3.13p for Win9X/NT (it uses JEWL by
John English).

with Jewl.IO;

procedure a_wee_test is

   procedure hello_world is
   begin
      Jewl.IO.message ("  Hello World  ");
   end hello_world;

begin
   hello_world;
end a_wee_test;

When i ran it from AdaGIDE it worked ok, however when I went to the program via
explorer and double clicked I got nothing what so ever -- there appeared to be
no message box, indeed no action, it was like the program just exited after it
started or didn't start at all.  This hasn't happened before, usually i can run
programs built with GNAT outside the control of the compiler.  Am I missing a
linker switch or something?

I'm looking in the GNAT ref and user manuals at present, to see what options are
available but so far nothing, I'll keep looking.

Thanks,
Chris Campbell

* Re: Problem with exes on Windows
@ 2001-07-01 23:07 ` Jeffrey Carter
From: Jeffrey Carter @ 2001-07-01 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

"chris.danx" wrote:

> I compiled the following program with GNAT 3.13p for Win9X/NT (it uses JEWL by
> John English).
>
> with Jewl.IO;
>
> procedure a_wee_test is
>
>    procedure hello_world is
>    begin
>       Jewl.IO.message ("  Hello World  ");
>    end hello_world;
>
> begin
>    hello_world;
> end a_wee_test;
>
> When i ran it from AdaGIDE it worked ok, however when I went to the program via
> explorer and double clicked I got nothing what so ever -- there appeared to be
> no message box, indeed no action, it was like the program just exited after it
> started or didn't start at all.  This hasn't happened before, usually i can run
> programs built with GNAT outside the control of the compiler.  Am I missing a
> linker switch or something?

I don't have this problem with GNAT3.13p/Win98 if I exclude the
-mwindows linker argument. With -mwindows, this does happen. One thing
to remember is that JEWL.IO writes to standard output as well as
creating a dialog box, so unlike true Windows programs, you should not
have the linker argument -mwindows.

--
Jeff Carter
"My brain hurts!"

* Re: Problem with exes on Windows
@ 2001-07-02 10:24   ` chris.danx
From: chris.danx @ 2001-07-02 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > When i ran it from AdaGIDE it worked ok, however when I went to the program
via
> > explorer and double clicked I got nothing what so ever -- there appeared to
be
> > no message box, indeed no action, it was like the program just exited after
it
> > started or didn't start at all.  This hasn't happened before, usually i can
run
> > programs built with GNAT outside the control of the compiler.  Am I missing
> > linker switch or something?
>
> I don't have this problem with GNAT3.13p/Win98 if I exclude the
> -mwindows linker argument. With -mwindows, this does happen. One thing
> to remember is that JEWL.IO writes to standard output as well as
> creating a dialog box, so unlike true Windows programs, you should not
> have the linker argument -mwindows.

Ahh, I see!

It works now cheers Jeff,
Chris Campbell