From: Jeffrey Carter <jrcarter@acm.org>
Subject: Re: Problem with exes on Windows
Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2001 23:07:17 GMT
Date: 2001-07-01T23:07:17+00:00	[thread overview]

"chris.danx" wrote:

> I compiled the following program with GNAT 3.13p for Win9X/NT (it uses JEWL by
> John English).
>
> with Jewl.IO;
>
> procedure a_wee_test is
>
>    procedure hello_world is
>    begin
>       Jewl.IO.message ("  Hello World  ");
>    end hello_world;
>
> begin
>    hello_world;
> end a_wee_test;
>
> When i ran it from AdaGIDE it worked ok, however when I went to the program via
> explorer and double clicked I got nothing what so ever -- there appeared to be
> no message box, indeed no action, it was like the program just exited after it
> started or didn't start at all.  This hasn't happened before, usually i can run
> programs built with GNAT outside the control of the compiler.  Am I missing a
> linker switch or something?

I don't have this problem with GNAT3.13p/Win98 if I exclude the
-mwindows linker argument. With -mwindows, this does happen. One thing
to remember is that JEWL.IO writes to standard output as well as
creating a dialog box, so unlike true Windows programs, you should not
have the linker argument -mwindows.

--
Jeff Carter
"My brain hurts!"