* Need Help Porting Gnat to S390
@ 2001-06-20 16:25 Ken O. Burtch
From: Ken O. Burtch @ 2001-06-20 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

PegaSoft, a small Linux Ada partnership, has acquired a 3-month account
on an IBM S390 mainframe running SuSE Linux.  Access to the S390 is
available via SSH over the Internet.

We're interested in porting our System Manager in a Box program to the
S390, but first we need to be able to port GNAT.  We're looking for
volunteers interested in working on a port of the public version of GNAT
to the S390.  If you are interested in the fame, the glory, or just want
the experience of working on a mainframe running Linux, please email Dan
Braun at dbraun@home-nospam.com (remove -nospam) for more information.

Thanks for your assistance.

KB

* Re: Need Help Porting Gnat to S390
@ 2001-06-20 17:57 ` Laurent Guerby
From: Laurent Guerby @ 2001-06-20 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Ken O. Burtch" <kburtch@mackenziefinancial.com> writes:
> We're interested in porting our System Manager in a Box program to the
> S390, but first we need to be able to port GNAT.  We're looking for
> volunteers interested in working on a port of the public version of GNAT
> to the S390.  If you are interested in the fame, the glory, or just want
> the experience of working on a mainframe running Linux, please email Dan
> Braun at dbraun@home-nospam.com (remove -nospam) for more information.

I assume you'll start when GNAT is commited to the GCC CVS repository,
and not with GCC 2.8.1 / GNAT 3.13p, right?

--
Laurent Guerby <guerby@acm.org>

* Re: Need Help Porting Gnat to S390
@ 2001-06-20 18:02   ` Ken O. Burtch
From: Ken O. Burtch @ 2001-06-20 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

The 390 account is on loan for only 3 months.  If we are going to port GNAT,
it will have to be the current version.

Ken Burtch

@ 2001-06-20 18:10     ` Ken O. Burtch
From: Ken O. Burtch @ 2001-06-20 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

If you have further questions about the account, email Dan.  I don't know the
specifics.

Ken Burtch

@ 2001-06-21  7:05 ` Ehud Lamm
From: Ehud Lamm @ 2001-06-21  7:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ken O. Burtch <kburtch@mackenziefinancial.com> wrote in message

> We're interested in porting our System Manager in a Box program to the
> S390, but first we need to be able to port GNAT.  We're looking for
> volunteers interested in working on a port of the public version of GNAT
> to the S390.

Can any one give more details about what porting GNAT entails? I guess we
are talking about using a S390 version of GCC (whihc is part of the Linux
bundle on S390, I guess), so only the GNAT front-end and run-time library
need to be ported, right?

Is tasking going to be achieved using the POSIX facilities on Linux/390?

--
Ehud Lamm   mslamm@mscc.huji.ac.il
http://purl.oclc.org/NET/ehudlamm <==  Me!

* Re: Need Help Porting Gnat to S390
@ 2001-06-21 13:52     ` minyard
From: minyard @ 2001-06-21 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

I really doubt the S390 Linux supports gcc 2.8.1.  I'd guess that they
did the port effort on 2.95 (that's the GCC that SuSE S390 comes
with), since 2.8.1 was ancient when they started.  It would be quite
hard to get GNAT working on 2.95, and it would be quite hard to
backport gcc on S390 to 2.8.1.

Better do some homework here.

I have the same problem with PowerPC, but hopefully the 3.0 port of
GNAT will make things all better :-).  And if my memory serves
correctly, Mr. Dewar has said "days or weeks" instead of "months or
years", so maybe my waiting days will be over soon.  But things will
probably not be smooth with 3.0 for a while.

-Corey

@ 2001-06-21 13:57   ` Ken O. Burtch
From: Ken O. Burtch @ 2001-06-21 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks for your question.

I don't know the requirements to port GNAT to a new platform.  The S390 will
certainly have a version of GCC.  I don't know whether or not GCC 2.8.1 will
need patches or not--it might simply be a matter of recompiling the sources
under S390 GCC.  Nobody at the office seems to know.

Since the S390 is running Linux, that should simplify much of the porting.  If
the GNAT sources use only standard Linux libraries and kernel calls, the port
of the run-time library might be straight forward.  Someone who knows more
about porting GNAT will have to comment on this.  Exceptions and threading may
require addition work.

Ken Burtch