From: Jeffrey Carter <jrcarter@acm.org>
Subject: An Old Market in which Ada May Play
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 00:29:13 GMT
Date: 2001-06-17T00:29:13+00:00	[thread overview]

I hate my browser. It displays ads before displaying the text I want to
see. Sometimes that can take several minutes, especially if an ad server
is down. It downloads graphics before displaying anything, such as text
I want to see. It pops up extra windows whether I want them or not. It
offers minimal cookie and cache management, and no "web bug" management.
It crashes about half the time I run it.

Perhaps you have your own pet peeves.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a browser that lets you tell it not to
contact sites from foreign domains? That lets you tell it to display
text before downloading graphics? That asks before opening extra
windows? That offers cookie, cache, and web-bug management? That's
robust and reliable? That doesn't do whatever you don't like about your
browser, and does do what you wish your browser did?

Unfortunately, I wouldn't know where to start learning about how to
write a web browser. But with AWS, AdaSockets, GtkAda, AdaCGI, and the
like, I'd think that Ada is ready for someone who has the necessary
knowledge. A user-friendly, reliable, portable, open-source browser in
Ada might expose the language's virtues to the unbelievers.

--
Jeff Carter
"You tiny-brained wipers of other people's bottoms!"