From: "B. Douglas Hilton" <doug.hilton@engineer.com>
Subject: Re: Porting GNAT to Debian Hurd
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 00:52:04 -0400
Date: 2001-06-16T00:52:04-04:00	[thread overview]

I don't know if Hurd is ripe for a takeover, but it would probably
not be excessively difficult to fork the development tree at this
stage.
    I was looking at the gnat sources, and it appears that you need
to already have an older gnat installed to build a newer one. This
might be tricky for Hurd, because I'd have to cross-compile gnat
from Linux, then use it to do a native build in Hurd.
    To do that, I need to compile gnat in a cross-compilation
configuration in Linux; it would be a minor feat, but is theoretically
possible.
    A good start for an Ada kernel would be to rewrite oskit in Ada,
possibly in a very stripped-down configuration. Now that would
be pretty cool.

- Doug