* Bound GNAT annex reference?
@ 2001-06-15  1:37 B. Douglas Hilton
From: B. Douglas Hilton @ 2001-06-15  1:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have always found that the most useful portion of any
C programming book invariably turns out to be the library
function reference section.
    Is there a good Ada95 book which is focused on GNAT,
and has a strong annex reference section? Does GNATPro
come with printed manuals? If so, how good are they?

BTW: I'm just beginning to experiment with GtkAda and
think its the coolest thing since Tkinter! Very useful! I
can scarcely believe I'm building Gtk apps that run under
Win2k. That is just fantastic... heh who need the Windoze
API when you can have Gtk!! ( Makes my apps portable! )

Cheers!
- Doug

* Re: Bound GNAT annex reference?
@ 2001-06-15 12:42 ` Marc A. Criley
From: Marc A. Criley @ 2001-06-15 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

"B. Douglas Hilton" wrote:

> I have always found that the most useful portion of any
> C programming book invariably turns out to be the library
> function reference section.
>     Is there a good Ada95 book which is focused on GNAT,
> and has a strong annex reference section? Does GNATPro
> come with printed manuals? If so, how good are they?

I doubt there's an _Ada95_ book focused on GNAT.  However, there is "The
Big Online Book of Linux Ada Programming"
(http://www.vaxxine.com/pegasoft/homes/book.html), that is focused on
using GNAT on Linux.  Obviously it won't help you much with Windoze
programming, but it might provide you some assistance with GNAT and the
libraries.

I've been a supported user of GNAT in the past, and unless they've
changed, they do not provide printed manuals.  They do provide
Postscript versions of the manuals (included with the public releases),
so you can just print those off, or send the file to some document
production organization and have them print and bind it.

HTH.

Marc A. Criley
Senior Staff Engineer
Quadrus Corporation