* Peter Coffee Strikes Again
@ 2001-06-13 18:06 Riehle, Richard
From: Riehle, Richard @ 2001-06-13 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

There is an entertaining column in eWeek (June 11, 2001, page 47) with the
title, "C++ Falls Short of an 'A'," by Peter Coffee.   He has some kind
words for Ada as well as for Java and Modula-2.  Some of you might
want to thank him.

               http://www.eweek.com

               peter_coffee@ziffdavis.com

Richard Riehle

--
Posted from monterey.nps.navy.mil [131.120.18.26]

* Re: Peter Coffee Strikes Again
@ 2001-06-13 18:40 ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2001-06-13 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <DE4BEB94B03E194584F0068A671763BAB2C8B5@saipan>, Riehle, Richard
says...

>There is an entertaining column in eWeek (June 11, 2001, page 47) with the
>title, "C++ Falls Short of an 'A'," by Peter Coffee.   He has some kind
>words for Ada as well as for Java and Modula-2.  Some of you might
>want to thank him.

Actually, most of his "kind words" seem to be reserved for Java. He was nice
enough to parrot an industry report that they'd rather see Modula-2 or Ada in
use (based on type-safety issues, which I guess Java would share). Its a shame
that we have to be actively thankful when a journalist refers to a report with
actual information in it, rather than just mindlessly fanning the hype flames
like a palace eunuch, but I guess that's where we're at.

On a more positive note, I loved this comment:

"Is it an advantage that more C++ programmers can always be found when needed?
Or is it a serious problem that you always seem to need one more?"

---

* Re: Peter Coffee Strikes Again
@ 2001-06-13 18:58 ` Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 2001-06-13 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm guessing this article is not on line? It does not appear anywhere from
the eWeek website search.

MDC
--
Marin David Condic
Senior Software Engineer

@ 2001-06-13 19:04   ` Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 2001-06-13 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

O.K. To answer my own question:

http://www.zdnet.com/eweek/stories/general/0,11011,2769111,00.html

Look under "Columnists"

So much for the quality of search engines.

MDC
--

"Marin David Condic" <marin.condic.auntie.spam@pacemicro.com> wrote in
message news:9g8d4c$br$1@nh.pace.co.uk...

@ 2001-06-14  7:50 ` Tarjei T. Jensen
From: Tarjei T. Jensen @ 2001-06-14  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Riehle, Richard wrote in message ...
>There is an entertaining column in eWeek (June 11, 2001, page 47) with the
>title, "C++ Falls Short of an 'A'," by Peter Coffee.   He has some kind
>words for Ada as well as for Java and Modula-2.  Some of you might
>want to thank him.

The article is found at

http://www.zdnet.com/eweek/stories/general/0,11011,2769111,00.html

Greetings,

* Re: Peter Coffee Strikes Again
@ 2001-06-14 18:58   ` John Kern
From: John Kern @ 2001-06-14 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Anyone have an idea what Peter means by "Industrial advisory boards"?
Is that just the MISRA for automotive or are there others?

Thanks