From: Lao Xiao Hai <laoxhai@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: "Ada 95 is certainly aimed at serious software engineering."  in article.
Date: Fri, 04 May 2001 21:29:57 -0700
Date: 2001-05-05T04:30:38+00:00	[thread overview]

I know the author of this piece rather well.  He has also written
a very interesting book,  "Object Unencapsulated."   Mr Dolan,
in his comments, is correct that Ian has a slight Eiffel bias.   That
is a result of some serious comparative study of Eiffel, C++, and
Java.   His book is much more detailed, if anyone wants to check
the details supporting his conclusions.    I have suggested to him
often that he might include Ada in the next version of his book.
Perhaps this will happen and the details will support a different
conclusion.   Either way,  Mr. Joyner is correct in his assessment
of C++ as dangerous for serious programming.    It seems the danger
is of little concern to those who use it.

I like the phrase someone used to state, "C++ is its own virus."  That
corresponds nicely to Mr. Joyner's views, I think.

Richard Riehle