* Re: GtkAda with several task (or distributed solution?)?
@ 2001-04-27  6:40 ` Bobby D. Bryant
From: Bobby D. Bryant @ 2001-04-27  6:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank

Frank wrote:

> I read somewhere that if you have a Ada program using Gtk, and having
> several tasks, only one task can (or should?)
> operate the GUI ?

Only one task can call Gtk.Main.Main, which I suppose amounts to the same
thing.

If you have already installed GtkAda you should have a Users' Guide named
gtkada_ug.ps somewhere on your system, and it has a short section on the
restrictions for using GtkAda with tasking.

> Is this true if the tasks are "separeted" by the distributed solution also?

I have just started using GtkAda with a distributed program implemented with
gnat-glade.  I only need the GUI for the "master" partition, but after reading
your message I ran an experiment to see whether I could create a main window
from each of the slaves as well, and it worked fine.  My guess would be that
each partition can run its own Gtk.Main.Main, though there may well be some
gotchas that my simple test didn't uncover.

You will probably find that you have to recompile GtkAda to make it work with
distributed programs, at least if you are using gnat-glade.  See
http://gtkada.eu.org/pipermail/gtkada/2001-April/000777.html in the GtkAda
mailing list archive for a brief how-to.  The "GARLIC" mentioned there is a
component of gnat-glade, so you should already have it if you are using
gnat-glade.  (It was only last night that I got my distributed-GtkAda working,
but at least I haven't seen any trouble so far.)

Good luck,

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas

* GtkAda with several task (or distributed solution?)?
@ 2001-04-27 16:20 Frank
From: Frank @ 2001-04-27 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

I read somewhere that if you have a Ada program using Gtk, and having
several tasks, only one task can (or should?)
operate the GUI ?
Is this true if the tasks are "separeted" by the distributed solution also?

Frank

* Re: GtkAda with several task (or distributed solution?)?
@ 2001-04-27 17:44 ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2001-04-27 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <D%gG6.1133$Ty6.15964@news1.oke.nextra.no>, Frank says...

>I read somewhere that if you have a Ada program using Gtk, and having
>several tasks, only one task can (or should?)
>operate the GUI ?

That's generally true with *any* graphical toolkit (or when dealing with any
device at all), unless it has been specifically written to deal with tasking
issues. You should have one task to handle all direct accesses to the GUI
toolkit. Other tasks should send requests through the GUI handler.

>Is this true if the tasks are "separeted" by the distributed solution also?

Are you talking about Annex E here? I'm guessing it would be OK for different
tasks to talk to different machine's GUI's as long as there's only one task
handling each machine's GUI. Any multi-word data they share may need to be
protected from "tearing" though.

---

* Re: GtkAda with several task (or distributed solution?)?
@ 2001-04-27 19:49   ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2001-04-27 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Bobby D. Bryant" <bdbryant@mail.utexas.edu> writes:

> I have just started using GtkAda with a distributed program
> implemented with gnat-glade.  I only need the GUI for the "master"
> partition, but after reading your message I ran an experiment to see
> whether I could create a main window from each of the slaves as
> well, and it worked fine.  My guess would be that each partition can
> run its own Gtk.Main.Main, though there may well be some gotchas
> that my simple test didn't uncover.

In general, under X, you can get away with more than one task talking
to the same physical screen or even the same window provided they use
different display connections (Display* in C). Say, I create a window,
then pass you the Window handle and you draw on it .. but I'd better
not register for any events!

Usually easier to use XInitThreads(), XtToolkitThreadInitialize().

My experience is that if you see weird X protocol errors you've most
likely got a threading problem! and they appear pretty quickly.

* Re: GtkAda with several task (or distributed solution?)?
@ 2001-04-28  6:02     ` Bobby D. Bryant
From: Bobby D. Bryant @ 2001-04-28  6:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Frank wrote:

> Can someone direct me to some document describing how to "Compile and
> install GtkAda from its sources"?

Assuming you have downloaded the source, read the file INSTALL in the source
kit.

If you haven't downloaded it, you can find it at
http://libre.act-europe.fr/GtkAda/.

Good luck,

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas

* Re: GtkAda with several task (or distributed solution?)?
@ 2001-04-28  8:31   ` Frank
From: Frank @ 2001-04-28  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!
Yes I had Annex E in mind.
Thank  you.

> Any multi-word data they share may need to be protected from "tearing"
though.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean here;
do you mean that if I try to pass a GUI object (the data structure of it)
between partitions it can be destroyed when (can imagine that)?

Frank

* Re: GtkAda with several task (or distributed solution?)?
@ 2001-04-28  8:43   ` Frank
From: Frank @ 2001-04-28  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!
Thank you,

> You will probably find that you have to recompile GtkAda to make it work
with
> distributed programs, at least if you are using gnat-glade.

I have looked at your document, and have added the paths to
ADA_INCLUDE_PATH/ADA_OBJECT_PATH.

@ 2001-04-30 14:03     ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2001-04-30 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <cevG6.3620$gX3.225371@news3.oke.nextra.no>, Frank says...
>> Any multi-word data they share may need to be protected from "tearing"
>I'm not sure I understand what you mean here;
>do you mean that if I try to pass a GUI object (the data structure of it)
>between partitions it can be destroyed when (can imagine that)?

No. "Data tearing" is the term I've heard simulation folk use for what CS people
like to call "race conditions" on data. What I'm saying is that if you have one
task updating multi-word data (eg: the xyz acceleration vector of an object),
and another accessing it from over the network, its quite possible for the
reader to see a snapshot of the object with time 1's values for z and time 2's
values for x and y. That would essentially make the overall value complete
garbage. You have to place some kind of read protection (locking, protected
object, etc.) around multi-word objects to prevent this. In many cases (I don't
know about annex E), this can also happen with 64-bit floats.

---

* Re: GtkAda with several task (or distributed solution?)?
@ 2001-05-01  8:48       ` Frank
From: Frank @ 2001-05-01  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

I have tried to download
"GtkAda 1.2.10 development RPM for GNU/Linux x86 and GNAT 3.13p (requires
the run time package). "
from this page.
I am not allowed to install it;
I have GtkAda-runtime-1.2.10-2 and GtkAda-1.2.10-2
while the download needs "gtkada-1.2.10=1"

the rpm says:
gtkada-1.2.10=1 is needed by gtkada-1.2.10-devel-1-1

Am I missing (more) things :-)?
Frank

* Re: GtkAda with several task (or distributed solution?)?
@ 2001-05-01  9:00         ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2001-05-01  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 1 May 2001 10:48:02 +0200, Frank wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have tried to download
> "GtkAda 1.2.10 development RPM for GNU/Linux x86 and GNAT 3.13p (requires
> the run time package). "
> from this page.
> I am not allowed to install it;
> I have GtkAda-runtime-1.2.10-2 and GtkAda-1.2.10-2
> while the download needs "gtkada-1.2.10=1"
>
> the rpm says:
> gtkada-1.2.10=1 is needed by gtkada-1.2.10-devel-1-1
>
> Am I missing (more) things :-)?

Go to this page:

   http://www.gnuada.org/rpms313p.html

and install GtkAda-1.2.11-1.i386.rpm. You don't need the GtkAda-runtime
that is only if you are not developing GtkAda programs, but you are :-)

Then it works. :-)

--
Preben Randhol ------------------- http://www.pvv.org/~randhol/ --
                 �For me, Ada95 puts back the joy in programming.�

* Re: GtkAda with several task (or distributed solution?)?
@ 2001-05-01 16:54         ` Bobby D. Bryant
From: Bobby D. Bryant @ 2001-05-01 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Frank wrote:

> I have tried to download
> "GtkAda 1.2.10 development RPM for GNU/Linux x86 and GNAT 3.13p (requires
> the run time package). "
> from this page.

I'm not sure, but I don't think the RPMs contain the GtkAda source code.
You should probably be downloading the .gz instead.

The RPMs are fine for ordinary use, but to recompile for use with gnat-glade
you will need the actual source.

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas

* Re: GtkAda with several task (or distributed solution?)?
@ 2001-05-02  7:21           ` Wilhelm Spickermann
From: Wilhelm Spickermann @ 2001-05-02  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

On 01-May-01 Preben Randhol wrote:
> Go to this page:
>
>    http://www.gnuada.org/rpms313p.html
>
> and install GtkAda-1.2.11-1.i386.rpm. You don't need the GtkAda-runtime
> that is only if you are not developing GtkAda programs, but you are :-)

The GtkAda RPM does need the GtkAda-runtime RPM:

"rpm -q --requires GtkAda" results in:
    gnat = 3.13p
    gnat-3.13p-runtime = 1
    GtkAda-runtime = 1.2.11
    /bin/sh

Wilhelm

* Re: GtkAda with several task (or distributed solution?)?
@ 2001-05-02  7:51           ` Wilhelm Spickermann
From: Wilhelm Spickermann @ 2001-05-02  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii, Size: 499 bytes --]

On 01-May-01 Bobby D. Bryant wrote:
> I'm not sure, but I don't think the RPMs contain the GtkAda source code.
> You should probably be downloading the .gz instead.

The GtkAda-RPM contains the sourcecode -- they are installed into
/usr/lib/ada/adainclude

> The RPMs are fine for ordinary use, but to recompile for use with gnat-glade
> you will need the actual source.

Hmm, I�ve made distributed programs using GtkAda -- I don�t remember doing
any recompilations of GtkAda.

Wilhelm

* Re: GtkAda with several task (or distributed solution?)?
@ 2001-05-02  8:11             ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2001-05-02  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 02 May 2001 09:21:36 +0200 (CEST), Wilhelm Spickermann wrote:

> The GtkAda RPM does need the GtkAda-runtime RPM:
>
> "rpm -q --requires GtkAda" results in:
>     gnat = 3.13p
>     gnat-3.13p-runtime = 1
>     GtkAda-runtime = 1.2.11
>     /bin/sh

OK. I'm using Debian so I'm used to a different approach to the package,
but it is no problem then. Only get both 1.2.11 packages and it should
work. :-)

--

@ 2001-05-02  9:23                 ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2001-05-02  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 02 May 2001 10:51:24 +0000, Gerd Arlitt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I hope it's not too much off topic but which approach did you use under
> Debian?

If you install the Gnat compiler then you get a package called : gnat if
you only need the runtime libraries you get the pacakge : libgnat
instead. That means that the runtime libs are also in the gnat package
so you cannot have both installed.

But for GtkAda there is libgtkada1 and libgtkada1-dev and you need both
to compile, so I was not thinking correctly when I said one didn't need
the runtime. I was thinking of the solution with the gnat packages :-)

--

@ 2001-05-02 10:51               ` Gerd Arlitt
From: Gerd Arlitt @ 2001-05-02 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

Hi,

I hope it's not too much off topic but which approach did you use under
Debian?

Gerd Arlitt

@ 2001-05-02 16:50             ` Bobby D. Bryant
From: Bobby D. Bryant @ 2001-05-02 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wilhelm Spickermann wrote:

> On 01-May-01 Bobby D. Bryant wrote:
> > I'm not sure, but I don't think the RPMs contain the GtkAda source code.
> > You should probably be downloading the .gz instead.
>
> The GtkAda-RPM contains the sourcecode -- they are installed into
> /usr/lib/ada/adainclude

Ah, thanks.

> > The RPMs are fine for ordinary use, but to recompile for use with gnat-glade
> > you will need the actual source.
>
> Hmm, I´ve made distributed programs using GtkAda -- I don´t remember doing
> any recompilations of GtkAda.

That's odd.  Using gnat-glade's gnatdist command for compilation, I always got
errors demanding that s-stratt be recompiled, apparently since the precompiled
version of GtkAda had been compiled against the s-stratt provided by GNAT,
whereas GLADE was checking the .ali for its own copy of s-stratt.

Could I have just reorderd my ld stuff?

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas

* Re: GtkAda with several task (or distributed solution?)?
@ 2001-05-03 18:22               ` Wilhelm Spickermann
From: Wilhelm Spickermann @ 2001-05-03 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii, Size: 663 bytes --]

On 02-May-01 Bobby D. Bryant wrote:
>> Hmm, I�ve made distributed programs using GtkAda -- I don�t remember doing
>> any recompilations of GtkAda.
>
> That's odd.  Using gnat-glade's gnatdist command for compilation, I always
> got
> errors demanding that s-stratt be recompiled, apparently since the
> precompiled
> version of GtkAda had been compiled against the s-stratt provided by GNAT,
> whereas GLADE was checking the .ali for its own copy of s-stratt.
>
> Could I have just reorderd my ld stuff?

Oh, sorry. When I looked into the makefile I found the "-a"-switch in the
gnatdist commands. So the recompilations are in fact done.

Wilhelm

* Recompiling GtkAda to handle Annex E variant of s-stratt.
@ 2001-05-14 13:56           ` Frank
From: Frank @ 2001-05-14 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!
Having: Linux RedHat 6.2, Intel, GNAT 3.13p-5

I have tried to recompile glib, gtk and gtkada, but are running into
problems in order to brin the Annex E variant of the s-stratt.adb into the
GtkAda build.

(always root)
When I run ./configure in my GtkAda source environment
it stops with this result:
-------------------------------------
checking for GTK - version >= 1.2.2... no
*** Could not run GTK test program, checking why...
*** The test program failed to compile or link. See the file config.log for
the
*** exact error that occured. This usually means GTK was incorrectly
installed
*** or that you have moved GTK since it was installed. In the latter case,
you
*** may want to edit the gtk-config script: /usr/bin/gtk-config
configure: error: Test for GTK failed. See the file 'INSTALL' for help.
-------------------------------------

I have tried to look into config.log, it says (at its end):
-------------------------------------
configure:1764: gcc -o
conftest -g -O2 -I/usr/local/include/glib-1.2 -I/usr/X11R6/include
conftest.c  -L/usr/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lgtk -lgdk -rdynamic -lgmodul
e -lglib -ldl -lXi -lXext -lX11 -lm 1>&5
In file included from /usr/local/include/gdk/gdktypes.h:33,
                 from /usr/local/include/gdk/gdk.h:31,
                 from /usr/local/include/gtk/gtk.h:31,
                 from configure:1756:
/usr/local/include/glib-1.2/glib.h:66: glibconfig.h: No such file or
directory
configure: failed program was:
#line 1754 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"

#include <gtk/gtk.h>
#include <stdio.h>

int main() {
 return ((gtk_major_version) || (gtk_minor_version) || (gtk_micro_version));
; return 0; }
-------------------------------------
Has anyone a tip on what this is?
I see that the message says that "the Gtk is incorrectly installed or
moved". I haven't moved it:-).
When it comes to the installation; I have downloaded the source for glib and
Gtk (1.2.10) and tar xvf'ed them in /root/prog before (tried to ) doing the
INSTALL instructions first in glib then in Gtk+.
I have tried to edit: /usr/bin/gtk-config, but haven't succeded in getting
rid of the problem (why do I get it in the first place?)
It would be useful to know if e.g Bobby Bryant from the previous postings
experienced some of
this?(http://gtkada.eu.org/pipermail/gtkada/2001-April/000777.html ).

I have noticed during make of glib and Gtk that this message appeares:
Libraries have been installed in:
   /usr/local/lib

If you ever happen to want to link against installed libraries
in a given directory, LIBDIR, you must either use libtool, and
specify the full pathname of the library, or use `-LLIBDIR'
flag during linking and do at least one of the following:
   - add LIBDIR to the `LD_LIBRARY_PATH' environment variable
     during execution
   - add LIBDIR to the `LD_RUN_PATH' environment variable
     during linking
   - use the `-Wl,--rpath -Wl,LIBDIR' linker flag
   - have your system administrator add LIBDIR to `/etc/ld.so.conf'

See any operating system documentation about shared libraries for
more information, such as the ld(1) and ld.so(8) manual pages.

Im not quite familiar with what it means; do I have to do it for my purpose
of recompiling GtkAda? I haven't; this might be the cause, but it would be
nice to know if I have to do it before going into depths:-)

I assume that this is a complex question, because it is very dependent on my
installation, but I have been fighting it for quite some time :-), and am
not familiar "recompiling" stuff in Linux(Unix)?

Frank

Bobby D. Bryant <bdbryant@mail.utexas.edu> wrote in message
> Frank wrote:
>
> > I have tried to download
> > "GtkAda 1.2.10 development RPM for GNU/Linux x86 and GNAT 3.13p
(requires
> > the run time package). "
> > from this page.
>
> I'm not sure, but I don't think the RPMs contain the GtkAda source code.
> You should probably be downloading the .gz instead.
>
> The RPMs are fine for ordinary use, but to recompile for use with
gnat-glade
> you will need the actual source.
>
> Bobby Bryant
> Austin, Texas

* Re: Recompiling GtkAda to handle Annex E variant of s-stratt.
@ 2001-05-14 15:22             ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2001-05-14 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Frank" <franjoe@frisurf.no> writes:

> /usr/local/include/glib-1.2/glib.h:66: glibconfig.h: No such file or
> directory

You didn't install the glib header files properly, or have an old
version of glib-config your PATH.

* Re: Recompiling GtkAda to handle Annex E variant of s-stratt.
@ 2001-05-15 15:10               ` Frank
From: Frank @ 2001-05-15 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

Linux RedHat 6.2,
GNAT 3.13p-5
trying Gtk+ 1.2.8  and glib 1.2.8

A bit worried about your patients;
I think I have mended the previous problem, but when I perform make install
on GtkAda I am now the happy owner of the following response:

bash# make install

make -C src install
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/GtkAda-1.2.11/src'
mkdir -p lib-obj
chmod +x gate gtkada-config
make -C gtkextra
make[2]: Entering directory
`/usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/GtkAda-1.2.11/src/gtkextra'
make[2]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/GtkAda-1.2.11/src/gtkextra'
gnatmake: objects up to date.
gcc -shared -fPIC  -o libgtkada-1.2.so.11 \
  -Wl,-soname,libgtkada-1.2.so.11 lib-obj/glib*.o lib-obj/gdk*.o \
  lib-obj/gtk*.o lib-obj/misc.o lib-obj/misc_extra.o
gtkextra/gtk*.o -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lgtk -lgdk -rdynamic -lgm
odule -lglib -ldl -lXext -lX11 -lm
gcc: lib-obj/glib*.o: Ingen slik fil eller filkatalog   <------------- ????
also gtk*.o is asked for.
make[1]: *** [libgtkada.so] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/GtkAda-1.2.11/src'
make: *** [install] Error 2
bash# pwd

Where do I find the o.* files "it" is asking for?

I have tried to pick up all *.o files from glin and gtk recompilation, and
drop them into directory lib-obj in GtkAda, but I find very few gli*.o
related files; in fact this output is generated from one of these attempts;
in the beginning "it" asks for gtk*.o also.

Frank