* Software Safety and Availability
@ 2001-04-29  6:51 Manfred Kremer
From: Manfred Kremer @ 2001-04-29  6:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

May i ask if sombody has more information on the computer failures that ISS
pesently experiences? E.g., what language thewir computers use, what
hardware, nature of the problems?

Greetings

* Re: Software Safety and Availability
@ 2001-04-29 12:24 ` chris.danx
From: chris.danx @ 2001-04-29 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

> May i ask if sombody has more information on the computer failures that ISS
> pesently experiences? E.g., what language thewir computers use, what
> hardware, nature of the problems?

Try http://www.newscientist.co.uk/dailynews/news.jsp?id=ns9999672 for a
description of the problems.  It seems that the problem was caused by the
integration of all the modules which are like mini-LANS into one big LAN.  Silly
folks at NASA tried to fix it the _SAME_ way 3 times, with each backup, instead
of trying something different when it became apparent their strategy wasn't
working (i.e. after the first or second time they tried it).

Chris

* Re: Software Safety and Availability
@ 2001-04-29 21:38 ` Adrian Knoth
From: Adrian Knoth @ 2001-04-29 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Manfred Kremer <Manfred_Kremer@freenet.de> wrote:

> May i ask if sombody has more information on the computer failures that ISS
> pesently experiences?

Is it for sure? Some Russians believe that it was only fake to frighten
'Tito' (the traveller) and by this convincing him not to take off.

--
mail: adi@thur.de  	http://adi.thur.de	PGP: v2-key via keyserver

Die Erben seh'n sich froehlich an, rauchtest du zu oft Gitanes.

* Re: Software Safety and Availability
@ 2001-04-30 12:24 ` David Gillon
From: David Gillon @ 2001-04-30 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Manfred Kremer wrote:

> May i ask if sombody has more information on the computer failures that ISS
> pesently experiences? E.g., what language thewir computers use, what
> hardware, nature of the problems?

Full details don't seem to have appeared yet, but the reports I've seen
seem to say that out of the three C&C computers (one live, two backups)
at least 2 have experienced hard-drive failures/problems. One has been
pulled and replaced with a spare and will be returned to Earth on the
shuttle, the other has apparently had a software tweak to limit drive
usage.

Check the mission updates on sci.space.news and also the coverage on The
Register at
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/2/18526.html and
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/2/18540.html (the second report
corrects the faulty assumptions of the first).

--

David Gillon
Process Control Team