From: David Gillon <david.gillon@baesystems.com>
Subject: Re: Software Safety and Availability
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 13:24:23 +0100
Date: 2001-04-30T13:24:23+01:00	[thread overview]

Manfred Kremer wrote:

> May i ask if sombody has more information on the computer failures that ISS
> pesently experiences? E.g., what language thewir computers use, what
> hardware, nature of the problems?

Full details don't seem to have appeared yet, but the reports I've seen
seem to say that out of the three C&C computers (one live, two backups)
at least 2 have experienced hard-drive failures/problems. One has been
pulled and replaced with a spare and will be returned to Earth on the
shuttle, the other has apparently had a software tweak to limit drive
usage.

Check the mission updates on sci.space.news and also the coverage on The
Register at
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/2/18526.html and
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/2/18540.html (the second report
corrects the faulty assumptions of the first).

--

David Gillon
Process Control Team