From: Alfred Hilscher <Alfred.Hilscher@icn.siemens.de>
Subject: Re: Postmortem debugging with ada ?
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 14:45:24 +0200
Date: 2001-04-26T14:45:24+02:00	[thread overview]

Des Walker wrote:

> Jacob Sparre Andersen wrote:
> >
> > Alfred:
> >
> > > Is there a similar way with GNAT or Aonix (e.g. in case of
> > > constraint_error) ?
> >
> > On Unix-like systems you are generally able to get a "core dump"
> > from a crashed program. GVD should be able to load this so you
> > can inspect it.

What means "a crashed program" ? Does this also include Ada exceptions
or only "hard" crashes (illegal pointer reference)that are recognized by
the OS (instead by Ada RTS) ?

BTW: I forgot - I work on WinNT.

> > I know that debuggers can introduce/remove errors not found in
> > the wild, but have you considered running the program inside a
> > debugger, before you try using core dumps?

What I want do is, give the (tested) application to the end user, and
react only if he reports an error. I think the user don't accept to run
the app within a debugger.

> Hi,
>
> we've used gdb to analyse core files from Ada (compiled with GNAT and -g
> switch) for a few years now. This worked fine, even with high levels of
> code optimisation, with the startup location being the point at which
> the unhandled exception was raised. It was easy to check the thread
> stack to get the context.

Do you get symbolic values for (procedure) local and global variables ?

> Applications were running on SPARC under Solaris 2.5.x and 2.6, and also
> on Pentium under Linux.

Do you know whether there is a way under Winxx ?