From: Des Walker <des.walker@amsjv.com>
Subject: Re: Postmortem debugging with ada ?
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 12:50:45 +0100
Date: 2001-04-26T12:50:45+01:00	[thread overview]

Jacob Sparre Andersen wrote:

> Alfred:
>
> > Is there a similar way with GNAT or Aonix (e.g. in case of
> > constraint_error) ?
>
> On Unix-like systems you are generally able to get a "core dump"
> from a crashed program. GVD should be able to load this so you
> can inspect it.
>
> I know that debuggers can introduce/remove errors not found in
> the wild, but have you considered running the program inside a
> debugger, before you try using core dumps?
>
> Jacob (who hasn't looked at core dumps for years)
> --
> Harddiske er bin�re enheder: Enten er de nye, eller ogs� er de fyldt op.

Hi,

we've used gdb to analyse core files from Ada (compiled with GNAT and -g
switch) for a few years now. This worked fine, even with high levels of
code optimisation, with the startup location being the point at which
the unhandled exception was raised. It was easy to check the thread
stack to get the context.

Applications were running on SPARC under Solaris 2.5.x and 2.6, and also
on Pentium under Linux.

When running the application under the debugger control (gdb), we found
it best to trap exceptions by breaking on __gnat_raise. But as I can't
recall why, that may not be relevant :)

	HTH
	Des Walker
	Alenia-Marconi Systems