From: "Marc A. Criley" <mcqada@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Instantiating a generic ADT from another ADT
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 23:48:13 GMT
Date: 2001-04-23T23:48:13+00:00	[thread overview]

Des Walker wrote:

> If you're looking for code to handle generic lists have you tried using
> the Booch Components. The BCs were initially developed for C++, but
> there are ports to Ada, and Eiffel and I think I've seen a Java port. As
> well as support for lists, the BCs also provide provide support for
> "Bags, Collections, Deques, Graphs, ... , Maps, Queues, Rings, Sets,
> Stacks, and Trees".
>
> The Booch Components have been around for a numer of years now, although
> I haven't used them to a great extent yet. I did try out the AVL Tree -
> I found the performance when managing a million items was on a par with
> a well vetted C version of the AVL tree I obtained of the net. The Ada
> port isn't as complete as the C++ version, but is still being
> maintained.
>
> You can download a copy of the Booch Components from
> http://www.pogner.demon.co.uk/components/bc/index.html

[Massive, loud, throat-clearing noises...]

The Booch Components were originally written in Ada 83 around the
mid-80s (I first encountered them in '87).  Grady went and rewrote them
later in C++, significantly optimizing their implementation based on
what he learned the first time around.  This latter rewrite is the base
for the Ada, et.al. ports mentioned above.

Marc A. Criley
Senior Staff Engineer
Quadrus Corporation
www.quadruscorp.com