* Fortran programmer wanting to learn Ada
@ 2001-04-12 14:45 GianLuigi Piacentini
From: GianLuigi Piacentini @ 2001-04-12 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm a Fortran9x programmer, with some experience/exposure to C, too.
I would like to learn Ada, and use it to program  PC (under Win
95/98/NT4/2000) and industrial PC under DOS, for automation
applications.  I foresee the need to do some Windows programming, and
also to send/receive characters via the serial port.
I understand that at some time I should upgrade to a commercial
compiler, but I would like to show Ada's capabilities, so I could
justify an Ada compiler versus a C or VB compiler.

Do you have any suggestion, pointers to book, on-line tutorials and so
on ?

Apologizing for my english, Many thanks in advance
Gigi Piacentini

* Re: Fortran programmer wanting to learn Ada
@ 2001-04-12 14:55 ` Marin David Condic
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Marin David Condic @ 2001-04-12 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

See: http://www.adapower.org/ for numerous resources for Ada. There are
books, tutorials, software examples, links to related sites, etc. We are
also pretty friendly here with respect to answering specific questions about
how various aspects of Ada work.

MDC
--
Marin David Condic
Senior Software Engineer

@ 2001-04-12 15:16 ` Britt Snodgrass
From: Britt Snodgrass @ 2001-04-12 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

GianLuigi Piacentini wrote:

> Do you have any suggestion, pointers to book, on-line tutorials and so
> on ?

Web Resources:	http://www.adapower.com   <-- START HERE
		http://www.adaic.org
		http://www.acm.org/sigada

Compilers:	ftp://ftp.cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat/3.13p/winnt/
		http://www.rrsoftware.com/
		http://www.aonix.com/content/products/forms/oa_win_demo.html

Books: 		http://www.research.ibm.com/people/n/ncohen/a3sl.html
		http://www.adapower.com/books/

Tutorials:	http://adahome.com/Tutorials/Lovelace/lovelace.htm
		http://www.adapower.com/learn/

* Re: Fortran programmer wanting to learn Ada
@ 2001-04-12 18:54 ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2001-04-12 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

GianLuigi Piacentini <glplps@libero.it> writes:

> I'm a Fortran9x programmer, with some experience/exposure to C, too.
> I would like to learn Ada, and use it to program  PC (under Win
> 95/98/NT4/2000) and industrial PC under DOS, for automation
> applications.  I foresee the need to do some Windows programming, and
> also to send/receive characters via the serial port.
> I understand that at some time I should upgrade to a commercial
> compiler, but I would like to show Ada's capabilities, so I could
> justify an Ada compiler versus a C or VB compiler.
>
> Do you have any suggestion, pointers to book, on-line tutorials and so
> on ?

http://users.erols.com/leakstan/Stephe/index.html

See "com ports" and "Windex".

That's the third time today I've posted my website; must be a record!

> Apologizing for my english, Many thanks in advance Gigi Piacentini

You're welcome.

--
-- Stephe

* Re: Fortran programmer wanting to learn Ada
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2001-04-13 15:32 ` Samuel T. Harris
From: Samuel T. Harris @ 2001-04-13 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

GianLuigi Piacentini wrote:

> I'm a Fortran9x programmer, with some experience/exposure to C, too.
> I would like to learn Ada, and use it to program  PC (under Win
> 95/98/NT4/2000) and industrial PC under DOS, for automation
> applications.  I foresee the need to do some Windows programming, and
> also to send/receive characters via the serial port.
> I understand that at some time I should upgrade to a commercial
> compiler, but I would like to show Ada's capabilities, so I could
> justify an Ada compiler versus a C or VB compiler.
>
> Do you have any suggestion, pointers to book, on-line tutorials and so
> on ?
>
> Apologizing for my english, Many thanks in advance
> Gigi Piacentini

I once wrote a FORTRAN to Ada translator to facilitate
the porting of some code for a work project several
years ago. My effort got up to the verification testing
stage and then was dropped. A lot of untested functionality
there.

If anyone is interested, I will entertain the notion
of picking it up again.

--
Samuel T. Harris, Principal Engineer
Raytheon, Aerospace Engineering Services