* How do I build IRIX64 6.5 mips3 GNAT 3.13 compiler ?
       [not found] <0GB1001030ON2M@acf3.nyu.edu>
@ 2001-04-03 19:13 ` D. Baerts
From: D. Baerts @ 2001-04-03 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: webmaster; +Cc: Dirk Baerts, freeware

Dear webmaster,

Again, "This must be the wrong place to put this, but I'll do it anyway."

Actually, I do possess :
gcc-2.8.1
gnat-3.11p-mips-sgi-irix5.3-bin
gnat-3.12p-src
&
gnat-3.13p-src

My queest is :
How do I build IRIX64 6.5 mips3 GNAT 3.13 compiler.

My points are :
I got coredumps, while upgrading from 3.11 via 3.12 to 3.13 under IRIX64 6.5, IP19, under IRIX64 6.5, IP 22, -mips3 & under IRIX64 6.5, IP 27, -mips3. Even tried out IRIX 6.2, IP 22 today : no luck

I did manage to build 3.12 for IRIX64, IP27, mips4. With own patches. Used heavely, runs for over a year now , with the sole complaint that it isn't mips3

In the past there was this _open_ newsgroup, where you could discuss these problems. Now there a newsgroup where you must _pay_ for. Maintained by Ada Core Technology.

If you were good enough you even could suggest patches, for the source that was available through an - again - _open_ repository. The best thing you can hope for now is that ACT does mirror their _actual_ sources

Best regards,

Dirk

jh2@acf3.nyu.edu wrote:

> Please, check with Computer Science at http://cs.nyu.edu
>
> thanks,
>
> In article <200103301810.NAA02501@e2g1.home.nyu.edu> you wrote:
> : Message sent to: webmaster@nyu.edu (Other...)
> : ------------------------------------------------------------
>
> : This must be the wrong place to put this, but I'll do it anyway.
>
> : Years ago, people of your university developed an ada compiler based on the gcc compiler.
> : Public domain. Anyone could contribute, repository, newsgroup, things like that.
>
> : Today, I find myself confronted with not finding the source code on the net. No newsgroup, no nothing. Just ACT. Where you can be buy things. Like a solution why gnat-3.13 can't be build under IRIX64 6.5, mips3.
>
> : I deeply regret that.
>
> : Best regards,
>
> --
> --
> Joseph Hargitai
> ITS eServices

* Re: How do I build IRIX64 6.5 mips3 GNAT 3.13 compiler ?
@ 2001-04-04  6:57   ` Gerald Kasner
From: Gerald Kasner @ 2001-04-04  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

"D. Baerts" schrieb:

> Dear webmaster,
>
> Again, "This must be the wrong place to put this, but I'll do it anyway."
>
> Actually, I do possess :
> gcc-2.8.1
> gnat-3.11p-mips-sgi-irix5.3-bin
> gnat-3.12p-src
> &
> gnat-3.13p-src
>
> My queest is :
> How do I build IRIX64 6.5 mips3 GNAT 3.13 compiler.
>
> My points are :
> I got coredumps, while upgrading from 3.11 via 3.12 to 3.13 under IRIX64 6.5, IP19, under IRIX64 6.5, IP 22, -mips3 & under IRIX64 6.5, IP 27, -mips3. Even tried out IRIX 6.2, IP 22 today : no luck
>
> I did manage to build 3.12 for IRIX64, IP27, mips4. With own patches. Used heavely, runs for over a year now , with the sole complaint that it isn't mips3

Dear Dirk,
my response is somewhat offtopic.

The gnat compiler (the mips port) seems be be maintained by
sgi. The gnat compiler is part of their compiler toolset, and
they do have newer versions than the old public 3.11.

They use an internal version number, which is currently 1.4.1 which
seems to be something like 3.13

I do not know any pricing, since we have a campus license here.
One thing I'm not happy about is that people at sgi seem not to
support the -64 switch, that is there is a 32-bit compiler only.

I suggest to contact sgi, you can even search their web site by
looking for gnat_dev, which should point you to the related documents.

Hope this helps a little
Gerald

* Re: How do I build IRIX64 6.5 mips3 GNAT 3.13 compiler ?
@ 2001-04-04 17:42     ` Dirk Baerts
From: Dirk Baerts @ 2001-04-04 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: freeware

Dear Gerald,

Any answer on this subject is on-topic. Actually, I didn't count on a reaction ;-)

As you say : "They ( sgi, Dirk ) use an internal version number, which is currently 1.4.1 which seems to be something like 3.13"
This - something like 3.13 - stresses my point : the internet community has completely lost control over source code that once was public domain.

I wonder, where does this end ?

BTW. Any precompiled code is useless to me, I need a couple of adjustments to the standard.

Best regards

Dirk

@ 2001-04-04 18:51       ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2001-04-04 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dirk Baerts <d.baerts@xs4all.nl> writes:

> As you say : "They ( sgi, Dirk ) use an internal version number, which
> is currently 1.4.1 which seems to be something like 3.13"
>
> This - something like 3.13 - stresses my point : the internet
> community has completely lost control over source code that once was
> public domain.

Could you be a little more precise? What software that used to be
public domain did we (the "internet community") have control over that
we have now lost?

If something is "public domain", by definition nobody has control over
it.

If you are refering to GNAT, it was never public domain. It has always
been copyright FSF, released under the GPL, with the runtime under the
GNAT-modified GPL. FSF has designated ACT as the official maintainers
of GNAT; that is the extent of any "control".

The terms of the GPL allow SGI to use different version numbers
(actually, it says nothing about version numbers). It can be
confusing, but if they are patching the standard GNAT distribution, I
don't see that they have much choice (they could use
<act-version>-<sgi-version>, but it's not a big deal).

> I wonder, where does this end ?
>
> BTW. Any precompiled code is useless to me, I need a couple of
> adjustments to the standard.

The GPL also says if SGI gives you a binary they have to give you the
source. So get the binary, get the sources, and off you go.

--
-- Stephe