* Using sockets on Solaris with Ada
@ 2001-02-07 10:11 Gilles Dubochet
From: Gilles Dubochet @ 2001-02-07 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello everyone,

I am a computer science student in Switzerland, and I am currently
learning Ada on a Sun computer running Solaris 5.7.

I was wondering if there exists some package that deals with sockets on
this platform. I know one could do everything using C, but I am in the
first year and C is a second year class, therefore, I'll need an Ada
solution for now.

Thank you very much for your answers.

--
Best regards,

Gilles Dubochet
Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (EPFL)
gilles.dubochet@epfl.ch

* Re: Using sockets on Solaris with Ada
@ 2001-02-07 10:15 ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2001-02-07 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 07 Feb 2001 11:11:33 +0100, Gilles Dubochet wrote:
>Hello everyone,
>
>I am a computer science student in Switzerland, and I am currently
>learning Ada on a Sun computer running Solaris 5.7.
>
>I was wondering if there exists some package that deals with sockets on
>this platform. I know one could do everything using C, but I am in the
>first year and C is a second year class, therefore, I'll need an Ada
>solution for now.

No no no no don't use C, Ada is much better. You can find AdaSockets here:

   http://www.rfc1149.net/devel/adasockets

--
Preben Randhol ---------------- http://www.pvv.org/~randhol/ --
iMy favorite editor is Emacs!<ESC>bcwVim<ESC>

* Re: Using sockets on Solaris with Ada
@ 2001-02-07 14:57   ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2001-02-07 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <slrn98283v.j3.randhol+abuse@kiuk0156.chembio.ntnu.no>,
  randhol+abuse@pvv.org (Preben Randhol) wrote:
> On Wed, 07 Feb 2001 11:11:33 +0100, Gilles Dubochet wrote:
> >this platform. I know one could do everything using C, but I am in
> No no no no don't use C, Ada is much better. You can find AdaSockets

Yes, one could do everything using C. One could also build a full-scale
suspension bridge out of toothpicks. That doesn't make it a good idea. :-)

--
T.E.D.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

* Re: Using sockets on Solaris with Ada
@ 2001-02-08 15:43 ` Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 2001-02-08 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Some compilers will provide a package for you that will give you everything
you need for sockets. You didn't say which compiler you are using. I recall
the VADS Ada compiler on this platform had a package to do this - but I
don't remember the details. Others probably do as well.

Check the documentation for your specific compiler and see if they mention
sockets. If you don't find anything, try posting here the specific
compiler/version you are using and maybe someone will know what the package
is called & where to find it.

MDC

Gilles Dubochet wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I am a computer science student in Switzerland, and I am currently
> learning Ada on a Sun computer running Solaris 5.7.
>
> I was wondering if there exists some package that deals with sockets on
> this platform. I know one could do everything using C, but I am in the
> first year and C is a second year class, therefore, I'll need an Ada
> solution for now.
>
> Thank you very much for your answers.
>
> --
> Best regards,
>
> Gilles Dubochet
> Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (EPFL)
> gilles.dubochet@epfl.ch

Marin David Condic - Quadrus Corporation - http://www.quadruscorp.com/
Send Replies To: m c o n d i c @ q u a d r u s c o r p . c o m
Visit my web site at:  http://www.mcondic.com/

    "I'd trade it all for just a little more"
        --  Charles Montgomery Burns, [4F10]

* Re: Using sockets on Solaris with Ada
@ 2001-03-12 12:03 ` Gilles Dubochet
From: Gilles Dubochet @ 2001-03-12 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you for your answers. AdaSockets works great.