From: The Ludwig Family <ludwigs@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: Wrong SI unit specification (& restore Ada relevance somewhat)
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 00:25:59 -0500
Date: 2001-02-12T00:25:59-05:00	[thread overview]

First, in reply to the comment amount German names of units, if they
supposedly (as claimed below) do not behave like other nouns and always
begin with a capital letter, then why does the Physikalisch-Technische
Bundesanstalt (the German equivalent of the American National Institute
of Standards and Technology) use the spellings Meter, Kilogramm,
Sekunde, Ampere, Kelvin, Mol, and so on in the middle of sentences?
(Ref. Die gesetzlichen Einheiten in Deutschland, at
http://www.ptb.de/deutsch/onlnpub/sid/sid.pdf).

Germany has historically been rather bureaucratic.  But the EU as a
whole seems to be even worse.  I have read that the EU was imposing
the spelling kilometro on the Italians rather than their traditional
chilometro, which has been used because of the lack of 'k' in the
Italian alphabet.

Back to Ada relevance:  Ada's lack of case sensitivity forces the
avoidance of the standard symbols so as to prevent conflict of
things like ms, Ms, mS, and MS.  There is also the problem of the
character � (Character'Val(181) if your reader cannot handle the
Greek mu) for the prefix micro not being a letter for identifiers and
the upper case Greek omega for ohm not even being in ISO 8859-1.
Clearly, the only suitable approach is to use spelled-out names.
The issue comes in whether we regard ourselves as ultimately writing
Ada or English.  In English, the rule is all lower case except at
the beginning of a sentence.  However, in Ada the typical practice
is to write all identifiers starting upper case and the rest lower-
case.  There are no BIPM-imposed rules on the spelling of unit names,
except for English and French.  They specify only the symbols and
leave the spelling rules of the names to the natural orthography and
normal practice to the language in use.  So when I write in Ada, I
follow the typical Ada practice, not English, although I try to
make my Ada read reasonably well like English.

Howard W. LUDWIG