From: "Warren W. Gay VE3WWG" <ve3wwg@home.com>
Subject: BIND is Crying Out for Ada95
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 17:33:28 GMT
Date: 2001-02-08T17:33:28+00:00	[thread overview]

If someone has the time, here is a perfect chance to put Ada95
into the forefront, with a well written Ada95 version of BIND,
with fewer weekly exploits. It provides an essential service
for just about ALL networked systems today (what an opportunity ;-)

I would take this on myself, but I already have an Ada95 project
that I am trying to finish.. see text/href below:

Excerpted from http://lwn.net re BIND vulnerabilities:

... The Berkeley Internet
Name Domain (BIND) server is one of the classic free software success
stories.  It is free software, and plays a crucial role in the operation of
the Internet.  It runs almost every DNS server on the planet; its "market
share" makes Sendmail and Apache look like bit players.

And therein lies the problem.  When a security problem turns up in BIND,
the entire net is immediately vulnerable.  In this respect, the net is a
monoculture.  Imagine the damage that could be done by a malign individual
who is able to find and exploit a new BIND bug.  Given that (1) BIND
bugs seem to turn up regularly, and (2) BIND 9 contains a large
amount of new code, this scenario is a real possibility.  The fact that ISC
plans to create a closed forum for the discussion of BIND security issues
does not add confidence in this area.

Full text at this week's http://lwn.net front page.

--
Warren W. Gay VE3WWG