* Central Ohio Ada jobs
@ 2001-02-07 16:25 Mark Carroll
From: Mark Carroll @ 2001-02-07 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

While considering moving on to working with Ada, I thought that one
sensible thing to do would be to scope out the local job
opportunities. General web searches have been somewhat impeded by the
existence of things like the Americans-with-Disabilities-Act Ohio
branch and the town of Ada, Ohio, etc.! But, still, the jobs I've
found (mostly through www.adaic.org one way or another) have all
required US Citizenship (presumably for security clearance for
military clients) which I don't have. Am I right in thinking it'd be
tough to find any Ada jobs in central Ohio for which a non-citizen
would be eligible?

-- Mark

* Re: Central Ohio Ada jobs
@ 2001-02-08  8:38 ` Tarjei T. Jensen
From: Tarjei T. Jensen @ 2001-02-08  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mark Carroll wrote in message <95rsuf$q2f$1@news.cis.ohio-state.edu>...
>While considering moving on to working with Ada, I thought that one
>sensible thing to do would be to scope out the local job
>opportunities. General web searches have been somewhat impeded by the
>existence of things like the Americans-with-Disabilities-Act Ohio
>branch and the town of Ada, Ohio, etc.! But, still, the jobs I've
>found (mostly through www.adaic.org one way or another) have all
>required US Citizenship (presumably for security clearance for
>military clients) which I don't have. Am I right in thinking it'd be
>tough to find any Ada jobs in central Ohio for which a non-citizen
>would be eligible?

In Norway you can usually get a clearance if you are a citizen of a NATO
country or one of the nordic countries.

So, it might be possible to get a job if they are desperate enough.

Greetings,

* Re: Central Ohio Ada jobs
@ 2001-02-08 15:50   ` Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 2001-02-08 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

In the U.S., it is particularly tough to clear a foreign national. Even if
you are from a NATO country. (We share a lot of things with NATO, but the
newest/best stuff never gets that far.) It is not totally impossible to get
the clearance, but it would be so hard as to not make it worth anyone's
effort to try unless you were bringing to the table something really unique.
My advice? Give up! :-)

The best bet is to find something that doesn't require a clearance.
Unfortunately, Ada is just not as widespread as other languages in
non-military applications. (I have heard of none in my native country of
South Florida, for example! :-)

MDC

Tarjei T. Jensen wrote:

> In Norway you can usually get a clearance if you are a citizen of a NATO
> country or one of the nordic countries.
>
> So, it might be possible to get a job if they are desperate enough.

Marin David Condic - Quadrus Corporation - http://www.quadruscorp.com/
Send Replies To: m c o n d i c @ q u a d r u s c o r p . c o m
Visit my web site at:  http://www.mcondic.com/

    "I'd trade it all for just a little more"
        --  Charles Montgomery Burns, [4F10]

* Re: Central Ohio Ada jobs
@ 2001-02-09 20:52     ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2001-02-09 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3A82C04A.7C5E8BBD@acm.org>,
  Marin David Condic <mcondic.auntie.spam@acm.org> wrote:

> The best bet is to find something that doesn't require a clearance.
> Unfortunately, Ada is just not as widespread as other languages in
> non-military applications. (I have heard of none in my native country

Not all DoD jobs require clearances. The simulator job I'm working on
had 2 foriegn nationals working on it a year ago (out of about 10
developers). Foriegn nationals *can* get low level clearances too. As
long as the stuff they need to read can be marked "Secret", rather than
"Secret - NOFORN" they ought to be OK. Naturalized citizens can even get
access to the NOFORN stuff. I worked on a COMSEC (COMmunications
SECurity - military encryption) job on which 3 of the 12 software
developers were refugees from communist countries.

--
T.E.D.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/