From: Jerry Petrey <"jdpetrey<NOSPAM>"@west.raytheon.com>
Subject: Re: ADA in military?
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 08:37:35 -0700
Date: 2001-01-18T08:37:35-07:00	[thread overview]

Andrzej Lewandowski wrote:

> "J.B." <su22@polbox.com> wrote in message news:9451nb$b66$1@news.tpi.pl...
> > yes. im from Poland . i know that it is strange for ypu , but I'm really
> > intrested in it. So I have a one question : do you know if I can get any
> > source of programs used in aicrafts avionics: any demos? or anything? how
> > much it is protected from wide knowledge( from people outside your country's
> > army)?
> > reallu thank you for any help and for answering my qestions.
> > jim(jakub).
> > THANK YOU!
>
> I don't think that it is possible, and moreover, I don't think that studying
> real, complex code would be easy and educational. If you want to
> see some interesting examples of using Ada in control systems, consult the
> books, especially the following:
>
> 1. Kjell Nielsen, Ken Shumate: Designing Large Real-Time Systems with Ada.
> This is Ada 83, unfortunately, but this is not a big issue. Inside you will
> find
> 5 case studies: Remote Temperature Sensor, Draw Image problem, Simple Mail
> System, Air Traffic Control System, Robot Controller. Some quite close to
> avionics,
>
> 2. Ken Shumate: Understanding Concurrency in Ada. Also some case studies:
> Hot Line Communication System, Air Track Display System, Message
> Transmission System, Multiple Keyboard Handler, Remote Temperature Sensor,
>
> 3. Kjell Nielsen: Ada in Distributes Real-Time Systems. Some case studies:
> Robot Controller, Air Traffic Control Systems.
>
> In addition, the following books are recommended:
>
> Alan Burns, Andy Wellings: Concurrency in Ada
> The same authors: Teal Time Systems and Their programming Languages.
> Try to get 2-nd edition, it covers Ada95.
>
> More general and less technical is the following: Ken Shumate, Marylin Keller:
> Software Specification and Design: A Disciplined Approach for Real-Time
> Systems.
>
> I was teaching Real-Time Programming for quite a long while and I have some
> my own examples in Ada83 (climate control in a building). I will try to recover
> the code,
> but it will take a while (well... somewhere in moving boxes in the basement...)
>
> A.L.

Excellent choice of books.  I have them all and they do indeed give some
great
examples of Ada in real-time applications.  I wish some of the real life
avionics Ada applications I have worked on were done as well.  If only
more
managers read books like these :-)

Jerry
-- Jerry Petrey
-- Senior Principal Systems Engineer - Navigation, Guidance, & Control
-- Raytheon Missile Systems          - Member Team Ada & Team Forth
-- NOTE: please remove <NOSPAM> in email address to
reply