* ADA in military?
@ 2001-01-14 17:31 J.B.
From: J.B. @ 2001-01-14 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

does anybody know something about using ADA in military aicrafts systems?
thank you for any help.
james.

* Re: ADA in military?
@ 2001-01-14 19:24 ` Marc A. Criley
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Marc A. Criley @ 2001-01-14 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

"J.B." wrote:

> does anybody know something about using ADA in military aicrafts systems?
> thank you for any help.
> james.

The following link has a nice collection of such information:

http://www.seas.gwu.edu/~mfeldman/ada-project-summary.html

Marc A. Criley
Senior Staff Engineer
Quadrus Corporatin
www.quadruscorp.com

* Re: ADA in military?
@ 2001-01-15  0:19 ` Nick Williams
       [not found] ` <94nh2q$r52$1@neptunium.btinternet.com>
From: Nick Williams @ 2001-01-15  0:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

J.B. wrote:

> does anybody know something about using ADA in military aicrafts systems?
> thank you for any help.

I think you're probably going to have to be a bit more specific than
that, if you want any useful help.

Cheers,

Nick.

* Re: ADA in military?
@ 2001-01-17 16:06 ` mmajka
       [not found] ` <94nh2q$r52$1@neptunium.btinternet.com>
From: mmajka @ 2001-01-17 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <93sntf$rkd$1@news.tpi.pl>,
  "J.B." <su22@polbox.com> wrote:
> does anybody know something about using ADA in military aicrafts
systems?
> thank you for any help.
> james.

I used it in military avionics for several years.
Do you have a specific question?

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

* Re: ADA in military?
@ 2001-01-17 21:08   ` J.B.
From: J.B. @ 2001-01-17 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

yes. im from Poland . i know that it is strange for ypu , but I'm really
intrested in it. So I have a one question : do you know if I can get any
source of programs used in aicrafts avionics: any demos? or anything? how
much it is protected from wide knowledge( from people outside your country's
army)?
reallu thank you for any help and for answering my qestions.
jim(jakub).
THANK YOU!

U�ytkownik <mmajka@my-deja.com> w wiadomo�ci do grup dyskusyjnych
napisa�:944fu7$21s$1@nnrp1.deja.com...
> In article <93sntf$rkd$1@news.tpi.pl>,
>   "J.B." <su22@polbox.com> wrote:
> > does anybody know something about using ADA in military aicrafts
> systems?
> > thank you for any help.
> > james.
>
> I used it in military avionics for several years.
> Do you have a specific question?
>

> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

* Re: ADA in military?
@ 2001-01-17 23:49     ` Ken Garlington
From: Ken Garlington @ 2001-01-17 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

All the avionics source code I deal with is protected -- by some combination
of company proprietary data protection rules, export laws, and/or security
requirements.

As far as any demos - I know of a couple based on projects I worked/work on:

http://www.novalogic.com/

and select "F-16 Multirole Fighter" or "F-22 Raptor".

:
: >   "J.B." <su22@polbox.com> wrote:
: > > does anybody know something about using ADA in military aicrafts
: > systems?
: > > thank you for any help.
: > > james.
: >

@ 2001-01-18  1:54     ` Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 2001-01-18  1:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Source code for any sort of military avionics is going to either be a)
classified and thus locked up, b) under some kind of export control and thus not
possible to send outside of the US or c) considered "proprietary" or "sensitive"
in some way. You aren't likely to get hold of any actual flight software for a
military plane.

If you have some sort of specific question about military avionics software,
there are a number of us in this group who have been doing it for years. We're
glad to help, but we can't exactly deal with a broad topic like this, nor would
we likely be at liberty to give you any actual code.

MDC

J.B. wrote:

> yes. im from Poland . i know that it is strange for ypu , but I'm really
> intrested in it. So I have a one question : do you know if I can get any
> source of programs used in aicrafts avionics: any demos? or anything? how
> much it is protected from wide knowledge( from people outside your country's
> army)?
> reallu thank you for any help and for answering my qestions.
> jim(jakub).
> THANK YOU!

Marin David Condic - Quadrus Corporation - http://www.quadruscorp.com/
Send Replies To: m c o n d i c @ q u a d r u s c o r p . c o m
Visit my web site at:  http://www.mcondic.com/

    "I'd trade it all for just a little more"
        --  Charles Montgomery Burns, [4F10]

* Re: ADA in military?
@ 2001-01-18  4:08     ` Andrzej Lewandowski
From: Andrzej Lewandowski @ 2001-01-18  4:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

"J.B." <su22@polbox.com> wrote in message news:9451nb$b66$1@news.tpi.pl...
> yes. im from Poland . i know that it is strange for ypu , but I'm really
> intrested in it. So I have a one question : do you know if I can get any
> source of programs used in aicrafts avionics: any demos? or anything? how
> much it is protected from wide knowledge( from people outside your country's
> army)?
> reallu thank you for any help and for answering my qestions.
> jim(jakub).
> THANK YOU!

I don't think that it is possible, and moreover, I don't think that studying
real, complex code would be easy and educational. If you want to
see some interesting examples of using Ada in control systems, consult the
books, especially the following:

1. Kjell Nielsen, Ken Shumate: Designing Large Real-Time Systems with Ada.
This is Ada 83, unfortunately, but this is not a big issue. Inside you will
find
5 case studies: Remote Temperature Sensor, Draw Image problem, Simple Mail
System, Air Traffic Control System, Robot Controller. Some quite close to
avionics,

2. Ken Shumate: Understanding Concurrency in Ada. Also some case studies:
Hot Line Communication System, Air Track Display System, Message
Transmission System, Multiple Keyboard Handler, Remote Temperature Sensor,

3. Kjell Nielsen: Ada in Distributes Real-Time Systems. Some case studies:
Robot Controller, Air Traffic Control Systems.

In addition, the following books are recommended:

Alan Burns, Andy Wellings: Concurrency in Ada
The same authors: Teal Time Systems and Their programming Languages.
Try to get 2-nd edition, it covers Ada95.

More general and less technical is the following: Ken Shumate, Marylin Keller:
Software Specification and Design: A Disciplined Approach for Real-Time
Systems.

I was teaching Real-Time Programming for quite a long while and I have some
my own examples in Ada83 (climate control in a building). I will try to recover
the code,
but it will take a while (well... somewhere in moving boxes in the basement...)

A.L.

* Re: ADA in military?
@ 2001-01-18 15:37       ` Jerry Petrey
From: Jerry Petrey @ 2001-01-18 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andrzej Lewandowski wrote:

> "J.B." <su22@polbox.com> wrote in message news:9451nb$b66$1@news.tpi.pl...
> > yes. im from Poland . i know that it is strange for ypu , but I'm really
> > intrested in it. So I have a one question : do you know if I can get any
> > source of programs used in aicrafts avionics: any demos? or anything? how
> > much it is protected from wide knowledge( from people outside your country's
> > army)?
> > reallu thank you for any help and for answering my qestions.
> > jim(jakub).
> > THANK YOU!
>
> I don't think that it is possible, and moreover, I don't think that studying
> real, complex code would be easy and educational. If you want to
> see some interesting examples of using Ada in control systems, consult the
> books, especially the following:
>
> 1. Kjell Nielsen, Ken Shumate: Designing Large Real-Time Systems with Ada.
> This is Ada 83, unfortunately, but this is not a big issue. Inside you will
> find
> 5 case studies: Remote Temperature Sensor, Draw Image problem, Simple Mail
> System, Air Traffic Control System, Robot Controller. Some quite close to
> avionics,
>
> 2. Ken Shumate: Understanding Concurrency in Ada. Also some case studies:
> Hot Line Communication System, Air Track Display System, Message
> Transmission System, Multiple Keyboard Handler, Remote Temperature Sensor,
>
> 3. Kjell Nielsen: Ada in Distributes Real-Time Systems. Some case studies:
> Robot Controller, Air Traffic Control Systems.
>
> In addition, the following books are recommended:
>
> Alan Burns, Andy Wellings: Concurrency in Ada
> The same authors: Teal Time Systems and Their programming Languages.
> Try to get 2-nd edition, it covers Ada95.
>
> More general and less technical is the following: Ken Shumate, Marylin Keller:
> Software Specification and Design: A Disciplined Approach for Real-Time
> Systems.
>
> I was teaching Real-Time Programming for quite a long while and I have some
> my own examples in Ada83 (climate control in a building). I will try to recover
> the code,
> but it will take a while (well... somewhere in moving boxes in the basement...)
>
> A.L.

Excellent choice of books.  I have them all and they do indeed give some
great
examples of Ada in real-time applications.  I wish some of the real life
avionics Ada applications I have worked on were done as well.  If only
more
managers read books like these :-)

Jerry
-- Jerry Petrey
-- Senior Principal Systems Engineer - Navigation, Guidance, & Control
-- Raytheon Missile Systems          - Member Team Ada & Team Forth
-- NOTE: please remove <NOSPAM> in email address to
reply

* Re: ADA in military?
       [not found]     ` <3A714305.831E8DAD@amsjv.com>
@ 2001-01-28 16:26       ` Singlespeeder
From: Singlespeeder @ 2001-01-28 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

> >  The commercial side had lots of nasty situations that would
> > never be allowed on a DoD job (eg: code that no-one understands any
> > more, but gets included in every simulator as part of a cargo-cult
ritual.)

> I think that's what "Singlespeeder" meant by describing commercial
> systems as "interesting" :-)

Absolutely.

Mind you a few avionic engineers have improved their Ada after reading:

"Safer C: Developing Software for High-integrity and Safety-critical
Systems"
Les Hatton
McGraw-Hill Publishing Company; ISBN: 0077076400

My experience of military software is that it pays less well than
commercial, but the beauty of working on classified material is that you
can't take it home with you. Once you've walked (or in my case cycled) out
of work you're free :-)

Nick

* Re: ADA in military?
       [not found] ` <94nh2q$r52$1@neptunium.btinternet.com>