From: "Gerhard Häring" <gerhard.nospam@bigfoot.de>
To: aotto2@gmx.de
Subject: Re: ANNOUNCE: Free-NET
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 04:24:07 +0100
Date: 2001-01-09T04:24:07+01:00	[thread overview]

I do agree that wrapping C language libraries to scripting languages or
other HLL is a task that's far from pleaseant. But

1) mqSeries doesn't seem to be free (not even free in the GNU sense, to
which I happen to not agree, but just the ��� sense of free). That's
euro :-)
2) I am in the process of interfacing a large C library to Ada, and
sometimes I wish there was a COM equivalent for Unix. Then this would be
a non-issue.
3) Even going the heavyweight way of using CORBA IDL seems to be easier
than writing a wrapper for each scripting langage. At least you only
have to write the wrapper once and it is guaranteed to work for each
language that has a CORBA mapping. Personally I do not believe in
automatic conversion � la SWIG, c2ada and the like.

I am just starting to fiddle with CORBA, though. But I rather like it.
Give me a CORBA implementation that connects code written in two
different languages in in-process, and we can even forget about .NET
altoghether. That would be the absolute killer, but I do not know if
this would even be possible.

Gerhard

--
Sorry for the fake email, please use the real one below to reply.
contact: g e r h a r d @ b i g f o o t . d e