* Re: Ada compiler for microcontrolers ?
@ 2000-12-23 22:11 Ira Baxter
From: Ira Baxter @ 2000-12-23 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

Build a code generator based on a generic compiler front-end,
such as our DMS Reegineering Toolkit.
See http://www.semdesigns.com/Products/DMS/DMSToolkit.html.

One might generate either Native or C code, depending on ambition.

Ira D. Baxter, Ph.D., CTO      email: idbaxter@semdesigns.com
Semantic Designs, Inc.          web: http://www.semdesigns.com
12636 Research Blvd. C-214  voice: (512) 250-1018 x140
Austin, TX 78759-2200        fax: (512) 250-1191

"Hans-Olof Danielsson" <Hans-Olof.Danielsson@swipnet.se> wrote in message
Hi.

I would like to use restricted Ada for programming of microcontrolers like
M68HC16 and PIC16Cxxx with a GPL:ed Ada compiler system. Where can I find
one?

I suppose there is none. The question is then how to get such a compiler
system ?

!) Port GNAT/gcc.

2) Modify ada2nqc in Ada/Mindstorms ( see Ada Letters, sept 2000 ).

Or what? Are you aware of other reuse possibilities?

I would like to hear your opinion in this subject.

Best regards
Hans-Olof Danielsson

Danitek AB
Dragspelsv. 20, S-732 32 Arboga, Sweden
Tel: int +46 589 140 38
Email: Hans-Olof.Danielsson@swipnet.se
Web: www.node98.com/danitek
Member of Node98  www.node98.com

----------

* RE: Ada compiler for microcontrolers ?
@ 2000-12-24  6:22 ` Robert C. Leif, Ph.D.
From: Robert C. Leif, Ph.D. @ 2000-12-24  6:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

From: Bob Leif
To: Ira Baxter et al.
One very old approach would be to use an Ada J code compiler. If you are
lucky, there will have already been created a J code virtual machine (J code
interpreter) for the microprocessor. If not, one will have to be created.
The reason that this an old approach is Ken Bowles did it with the P codes
for the UCSD Pascal system. This approach has one major problem, poor
performance in terms of speed of execution.

       [not found] <00c701c06c6d$a7c1b9a0$347a97d4@d1>
@ 2000-12-24  9:58 ` David Kristola
From: David Kristola @ 2000-12-24  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 22 Dec 2000 15:11:27 -0800, Hans-Olof Danielsson wrote
(in message <00c701c06c6d$a7c1b9a0$347a97d4@d1>):

> Hi.
>
> I would like to use restricted Ada for programming of microcontrolers like
> M68HC16 and PIC16Cxxx with a GPL:ed Ada compiler system. Where can I find
> one?
>
> I suppose there is none. The question is then how to get such a compiler
> system ?
>
> !) Port GNAT/gcc.
>
> 2) Modify ada2nqc in Ada/Mindstorms ( see Ada Letters, sept 2000 ).
>
> Or what? Are you aware of other reuse possibilities?
>
> I would like to hear your opinion in this subject.

Since you asked for an opinion...  I would love to see an Ada subset
compiler for various microcontrollers.  I even thought it would be
an interesting project to work up such a compiler for my Lego RCX.
However, i just don't have the time, and there are a few other
projects on my list ahead of this one.

Ada2nqc and NQC might be a starting point.  I think NQC's compiler
is available in source form.  It might be possible to merge the
two compilers together to go directly from an Ada subset to the
RCX byte code.

--
--djk, keeper of arcane lore & trivial fluff
Home: David95036 plus 1 at america on-line

* Re: Ada compiler for microcontrolers ?
@ 2000-12-27  2:34   ` Lao Xiao Hai
From: Lao Xiao Hai @ 2000-12-27  2:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Kristola wrote:

> Since you asked for an opinion...  I would love to see an Ada subset
> compiler for various microcontrollers.  I even thought it would be
> an interesting project to work up such a compiler for my Lego RCX.
> However, i just don't have the time, and there are a few other
> projects on my list ahead of this one.
>
> Ada2nqc and NQC might be a starting point.  I think NQC's compiler
> is available in source form.  It might be possible to merge the
> two compilers together to go directly from an Ada subset to the
> RCX byte code.

Check out the recent issue of Ada Letters  (from ACM SigAda) for an
interesting article about Ada for the Lego RCX.   This project was completed
by one of Martin Carlisle's students at the US Air Force Academy.

Richard Riehle