* RE: Bad coding standards
@ 2000-12-14  2:32 Beard, Frank
From: Beard, Frank @ 2000-12-14  2:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org'

I'm not saying coding standards/style guides are just
aesthetics.  Listen to me now.  I'm saying that "outside"
of coding standards that specify "which constructs to use"
for given situations, you are now in the realm of aesthetics.

I'm saying that:

    if success then

runs no differently that

    if SUCCESS then
or
    IF SUCCESS THEN

It has no structural or runtime impact whatsoever.
If you're talking about something like using a slice
from an array as opposed to a "for loop", then it
can have a structural and runtime impact.  On VAX
Ada it was faster to use a "for loop" than to use
a slice because of the way they did range checking
on the elements of the array.

Readability (aesthetics) is a different issue.  And
I'm not saying readability is only aesthetics. To
quote my American Heritage Dictionary:

aesthetic - "In accordance with accepted notions of
good taste or style".

I may be taking some liberties with what they mean
by style, but to say something is more readable, to
me usually means it is more aesthetically pleasing.
If it's not readable, it's not aesthetically pleasing.
I don't care how artistic you make it.

Nothing in ARM paragraphs 7-8 contradicts what I said.  I
agree with the paragraphs.  I agree with the principle of
readability and maintainability, but readability is subject
to interpretation, preference, what is pleasing to read
(dare I say it again - aesthetics), etc.

Our style guide is very similar to the Ada LRM (you say
ARM I say LRM. Which is more readably?  Neither, their
both cryptic.).  Why don't you type out Ada Reference Manual?
Doesn't ARM violate your style guide?  Hmmm, another exception
(ARM renames Ada_Reference_Manual).  Why did the Ada95 LRM
style change from the Ada83 LRM style?  Hmmm, yet another
exception.  Is suddenly the Ada83 LRM style "bad"?  Oh,
the poor souls who got trapped under the Ada83 style.
Have they yet to see the salvation of the Ada95 style?
Will Ada0x change yet again?  Who's right, who's wrong?
Why doesn't the Ada standard specify the style as well,
so that we're all writing to the same coding standard,
if it is that crucial and people have such poignant
opinions about it?

Frank

From: Beard, Frank @ 2000-12-19 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org'