From: Ted Dennison <dennison@telepath.com>
Subject: Re: Source code representation
Date: 2000/11/23
Date: 2000-11-23T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Florian Weimer wrote:

> The file-centered approach used by GNAT is close enough to what other
> programming language implementations do on unixoid platforms
> traditionally.  I've never used another Ada compiler, and I wonder if
> other vendors choose a different model (i.e. precompilation of specs

The Modula-2 implemenations I've worked with all used a library approach
similar to what traditional Ada compilers use. I believe Oberon uses a
library as well. C's just file-based because its modularity support is so
weak and low-level that it has no choice.

I'd think the best way for you to get a handle on this would be to go
download the evaluation version of ObjectAda and play with it a while.
(Go to http://www.aonix.com and click on "Downloads" on the sidebar.) It
uses Tucker's Favorite Front End, which is both widely used by non-Gnat
compilers, and fairly representative of a typical approach.

--
T.E.D.

Home - mailto:dennison@telepath.com  Work - mailto:dennison@ssd.fsi.com
WWW  - http://www.telepath.com/dennison/Ted/TED.html  ICQ  - 10545591