From: Jeff Carter <jrcarter@acm.org>
Subject: Re: Lower bound of result of Ada.Strings.Unbounded.Slice
Date: 2000/11/22
Date: 2000-11-22T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Robert Dewar wrote:
> Always look up existing AI's before submitting a new one :-)

That would be easier if there were some way to search them without
downloading all of them.

The only AI I could find that mentioned Unbounded.Slice is 128, which
contains a comment from Keith Thompson that he disagreed with Bob Duff
saying the lower bound should be 1, and that Robert Dewar also disagreed
with Bob Duff. Perhaps I don't know how to read an AI, but I saw nothing
to indicate that this was a binding interpretation (though I hope I'm
wrong).

> The proper answer is that the slice semantics are to be
> observed (forcing a lower bound of 1 is wrong).

If that's true, can I presume that the current version of GNAT works
this way? The compiler that gave 1 as the lower bound is GNAT 3.13p/Win.

--
Jeff Carter
"Hello! Smelly English K...niggets."