* Console Text_IO in Windows ME - PROBLEM????
@ 2000-11-17  0:00 William A Whitaker
From: William A Whitaker @ 2000-11-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have a widely distributed program that translates an input Latin
word/line into English.  It runs in a number of systems so to keep it
systems independent, it is a console (Text_IO) user interface.

Today I got a message that someone was having trouble using it with
Windows ME.  I do not have ME.  Before I go off on a wild hunt, has
anyone else seen this problem - has anyone else used ME on console  and
not had this problem?  The copy he has was compiled with GNAT, so I need
some guidance before I try a bunch of other compilers.

The message was

"The DOS window flashes by so quickly that I cannot read the text, and
closes.  If I manage to push the "Pause" button at the right instant to
freeze the window, no
text is displayed, and the window vanishes at the first keystroke.  Am I
out of luck? Or is there a workaround?"

Whitaker

* Re: Console Text_IO in Windows ME - PROBLEM????
@ 2000-11-18  0:00 ` Tarjei T. Jensen
From: Tarjei T. Jensen @ 2000-11-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

William A Whitaker wrote in message <3A15EBA0.FE2099A5@erols.com>...
>"The DOS window flashes by so quickly that I cannot read the text, and
>closes.  If I manage to push the "Pause" button at the right instant to
>freeze the window, no
>text is displayed, and the window vanishes at the first keystroke.  Am I
>out of luck? Or is there a workaround?"

I believe that this is something that has been discussed in this newsgroup
before. Try searching deja.com for it. Have you tried to revisit the web page
of Jerry van Dijk with the win/nt console package and see if the problem is
mentioned there?

Greetings,

* Re: Console Text_IO in Windows ME - PROBLEM????
@ 2000-11-18  0:00     ` DuckE
From: DuckE @ 2000-11-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Jeff Carter" <jrcarter@acm.org> wrote in message
> It sounds as if he is running the program by double clicking on the
> file. If the program is designed as a console application, it must be
> run in a program; that is, by typing in the program name at a command
> line.

Interesting.  This is definately not true on NT/Windows 2000

@ 2000-11-18  3:13 ` DuckE
From: DuckE @ 2000-11-18  3:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

In order to see the window that flashes too quickly to catch, try opening
the command window first and then running the program the name of the
program at the command line.

I haven't used ME, but this is how I read fast messages from console
applications on NT.

SteveD

@ 2000-11-18  6:03   ` Jeff Carter
From: Jeff Carter @ 2000-11-18  6:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2000-11-19  0:00       ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2000-11-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

DuckE wrote:

> "Jeff Carter" <jrcarter@acm.org> wrote in message
> > It sounds as if he is running the program by double clicking on the
> > file. If the program is designed as a console application, it must be
> > run in a program; that is, by typing in the program name at a command
> > line.
> >

> Interesting.  This is definately not true on NT/Windows 2000

Yes it is. Jeff's "must be" had an implied "if you want to be able to read
its conole output before the window goes away." at the end. There's nothing
physically preventing it. It just isn't very usable that way.

--
T.E.D.

Home - mailto:dennison@telepath.com  Work - mailto:dennison@ssd.fsi.com
WWW  - http://www.telepath.com/dennison/Ted/TED.html  ICQ  - 10545591