* controlled types and streaming
@ 2000-11-15  0:00 anders brolien
From: anders brolien @ 2000-11-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I am using gnat 3.13p solaris.

I have stumbled into some problems when trying
to transfer objects over an tcp/ip network
using the classes default 'input 'output methods to
produce a byte stream.

I works fine so long as the class don't
inherit from ada.finalization.controlled.
Should this be possible to achieve ???

Have been looking at system.finalization_root
and the two pointers in the root_controlled class
don't seem to be right to transfer to another CPU.
Local object refs ...

Does this make any sense ??

------------------------------
EMW/M�/FU/TK Anders Brolien
AEW Systems Division
Ericsson Microwave Systems AB
S-431 84 M�lndal
Sweden

* Re: controlled types and streaming
@ 2000-11-16  0:00 ` Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 2000-11-16  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: anders brolien

I turned this problem up a short time ago and posted questions here
about it. The dominant opinion is that it *should* work, but is an
apparent bug with GNAT 3.13p. You might want to post an example that
duplicates the error and we could compare notes to see if it is the same
problem.

MDC

anders brolien wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am using gnat 3.13p solaris.
>
> I have stumbled into some problems when trying
> to transfer objects over an tcp/ip network
> using the classes default 'input 'output methods to
> produce a byte stream.
>
> I works fine so long as the class don't
> inherit from ada.finalization.controlled.
> Should this be possible to achieve ???
>
> Have been looking at system.finalization_root
> and the two pointers in the root_controlled class
> don't seem to be right to transfer to another CPU.
> Local object refs ...
>
> Does this make any sense ??
>
> ------------------------------
> EMW/M�/FU/TK Anders Brolien
> AEW Systems Division
> Ericsson Microwave Systems AB
> S-431 84 M�lndal
> Sweden

Marin David Condic - Quadrus Corporation - http://www.quadruscorp.com/
Send Replies To: m c o n d i c @ q u a d r u s c o r p . c o m
Visit my web site at:  http://www.mcondic.com/

    "Giving money and power to Government is like giving whiskey
    and car keys to teenage boys."

        --   P. J. O'Rourke