* Jobs at Lockheed Martin
@ 2000-09-28  0:00 Phil Turke
From: Phil Turke @ 2000-09-28  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

If you have a Bachelors Degree and ADA experience, Lockheed Martin is
looking for a few great candidates.  Please fax your resume to the
attention of :  Linda Holtz at 770-494-6617.

Thanks.

* Re: Jobs at Lockheed Martin
@ 2000-09-28  0:00 ` Ted Dennison
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Ted Dennison @ 2000-09-28  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <39D35D4B.827BE795@worldnet.att.net>,
  Phil Turke <haleythedog@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> If you have a Bachelors Degree and ADA experience, Lockheed Martin is
> looking for a few great candidates.  Please fax your resume to the
> attention of :  Linda Holtz at 770-494-6617.

Generally when speaking for a large multinational corporation, it would
be a good idea to mention what location. Based on my knowledge of the
company and the area code you gave, I'd guess that Linda is just
handling hiring for the Marietta, GA (USA) location, and not for any of
the other sites (eg: Fort Worth, TX).

If its anything like Orlando was, she might not even be handling hiring
for *all* the organizations in Marietta.

--
T.E.D.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

* Re: Jobs at Lockheed Martin
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2000-09-28  0:00 ` Michael S. Simpson
From: Michael S. Simpson @ 2000-09-28  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

As the area code is 770 (Atlanta, GA area), I would say that it's for
Marietta, GA...probably the F-22 or C-130J programs.  Both of them are
short of people and way behind schedule.  If you're looking for a
pressure cooker environment, that's the place.  I know...been there;
done that!

Speaking only for myself..

Mike Simpson

Phil Turke wrote:

> If you have a Bachelors Degree and ADA experience, Lockheed Martin is
> looking for a few great candidates.  Please fax your resume to the
> attention of :  Linda Holtz at 770-494-6617.
>
> Thanks.

[-- Attachment #2: Card for Michael S. Simpson --]

begin:vcard
n:Simpson;Michael
tel;pager:520-489-7933
tel;home:520-622-5039
tel;work:520-794-5381
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
adr:;;;;;;
version:2.1
email;internet:mssimpson@west.raytheon.com
fn:Michael Simpson
end:vcard

* Re: Jobs at Lockheed Martin
@ 2000-09-28  0:00 ` John Magness
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: John Magness @ 2000-09-28  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Phil Turke wrote:

> If you have a Bachelors Degree and ADA experience, Lockheed Martin is
> looking for a few great candidates.  Please fax your resume to the
> attention of :  Linda Holtz at 770-494-6617.
>
> Thanks.

Having just gone through a several month hunt for Ada employment on the
internet,
I found that at www.dice.com a search on "Ada" would produce anywhere
from 190 to ~ 230 hits on postings no more than 30 days old.  Of these
about 25% to 35 % of these hits were Lockheed for direct employment.  Ten
to fifteen in Ft. Worth,  primarily for the F-16 flight software
(transitioning from an analog to digital flight computer) but also a few
positions for the F-22 flight software.  The Marietta positions were for
various positions for an F-22 simulator (might be a real time systems
integration lab,
the posts were not clear). These showed up as direct and contract.  LM
also had a lot of positions on the East coast (which I consider the mosh
pit of the US).

        As for me, it looks as if I'll end up here in Houston on the ISS
at Boeing.
John

* Re: Jobs at Lockheed Martin
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2000-09-28  0:00 ` William Dale
From: William Dale @ 2000-09-28  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Not sure where you are located but there is no interest in Ada at LM
Mussels and Space, Sunnyvale. THAAD is converting all of its Missile Ada
code to C++.   I work on the only piece of new Ada being done here.

Phil Turke wrote:

> If you have a Bachelors Degree and ADA experience, Lockheed Martin is
> looking for a few great candidates.  Please fax your resume to the
> attention of :  Linda Holtz at 770-494-6617.
>
> Thanks.

Bill Dale
Mo was the smart one
LMSSO, Sunnyvale,CA

* Re: Jobs at Lockheed Martin
@ 2000-09-28  0:00   ` Laura Martinez
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Laura Martinez @ 2000-09-28  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Located in Marietta, GA.  Fort Worth, TX and Palmdale, CA.  LM Aero.

William Dale wrote:

> Not sure where you are located but there is no interest in Ada at LM
> Mussels and Space, Sunnyvale. THAAD is converting all of its Missile Ada
> code to C++.   I work on the only piece of new Ada being done here.
>
> Phil Turke wrote:
> >
> > If you have a Bachelors Degree and ADA experience, Lockheed Martin is
> > looking for a few great candidates.  Please fax your resume to the
> > attention of :  Linda Holtz at 770-494-6617.
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> Bill Dale
> Mo was the smart one
> LMSSO, Sunnyvale,CA

* Re: Jobs at Lockheed Martin
@ 2000-09-28  0:00 ` Marin David Condic
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Marin David Condic @ 2000-09-28  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phil Turke

Phil Turke wrote:

> If you have a Bachelors Degree and ADA experience, Lockheed Martin is
> looking for a few great candidates.  Please fax your resume to the
> attention of :  Linda Holtz at 770-494-6617.
>
> Thanks.

You did not say much about the job - like where it is located and what
sort of work would be done. (Also, it should be spelled "Ada" - not
"ADA". :-) You might get a better (or at least more focused) response if
you provide a few more details.

MDC
Marin David Condic - Quadrus Corporation - http://www.quadruscorp.com/
Send Replies To: m c o n d i c @ q u a d r u s c o r p . c o m
Visit my web site at:  http://www.mcondic.com/

    "Giving money and power to Government is like giving whiskey
    and car keys to teenage boys."

        --   P. J. O'Rourke

* Re: Jobs at Lockheed Martin
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2000-09-29  0:00   ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2000-09-29  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <39D36ED9.82FB5D14@lmco.com>, William Dale <william.dale.jr@lmco.com> writes:
> Not sure where you are located but there is no interest in Ada at LM
> Mussels and Space, Sunnyvale. THAAD is converting all of its Missile Ada
> code to C++.   I work on the only piece of new Ada being done here.

Do a good job !!!

* Re: Jobs at Lockheed Martin
@ 2000-09-29  0:00     ` John Magness
From: John Magness @ 2000-09-29  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> I couldn't find this particular item on dice.com, could you send me more
>> information? I'm interested since the production F-16 transitioned from an
>> analog to a digital flight control computer roughly 15 years ago! The F-16XL
>>
>> was upgraded more recently, but as far as I know that work is already
>> complete.
>>
>> > but also a few
>> > positions for the F-22 flight software.
>>
>> There are a number of openings for Ada-savvy engineers at Fort Worth, on
>> F-22 and other programs. Go to
>>
>> http://lmpeople.external.lmco.com/careers/search.asp
>>
>> and search for requirement numbers  10639, 19553, 21097, 21384, and 21389.
>> Some of these are looking for more than one person.
>>
>> > The Marietta positions were for
>> > various positions for an F-22 simulator (might be a real time systems
>> > integration lab,
>> > the posts were not clear).
>>
>> Marietta has an urgent need for Ada-knowledgeable engineers for both flying
>> and ground-based software, I think even more so than Fort Worth. See the web
>>
>> page referenced above.
>>
>> > These showed up as direct and contract.  LM
>> > also had a lot of positions on the East coast (which I consider the mosh
>> > pit of the US).
>> >
>> >         As for me, it looks as if I'll end up here in Houston on the ISS
>> > at Boeing.
>> > John
>> >

> There are a number of openings for Ada-savvy engineers at Fort Worth, on
> F-22 and other programs. Go to
>
> http://lmpeople.external.lmco.com/careers/search.asp
>
> and search for requirement numbers  10639, 19553, 21097, 21384, and 21389.
> Some of these are looking for more than one person.
>
> > The Marietta positions were for
> > various positions for an F-22 simulator (might be a real time systems
> > integration lab,
> > the posts were not clear).
>
> Marietta has an urgent need for Ada-knowledgeable engineers for both flying
> and ground-based software, I think even more so than Fort Worth. See the web
> page referenced above.
>
> > These showed up as direct and contract.  LM
> > also had a lot of positions on the East coast (which I consider the mosh
> > pit of the US).
> >
> >         As for me, it looks as if I'll end up here in Houston on the ISS
> > at Boeing.
> > John

My error.  go to www.careerMozaic.com  I did just now -- search on "Ada"  -- &
Texas for the state.
47 hits, 3 or 4 were bogus (American Disabilities Act, etc.)  but approximately
40 of them are for LM in Dallas/Ft. Worth. And many of those are for the F-16.
Which block was the first to use a digital flight computer? I worked on the
flight simulators simulators for aircraft blocks 30, 40, and 50 in the late 80's
and recall no mention of a digital flight computer.  But, hey -- that doesn't
mean allot.

    Also several months ago there were several congratulatory postings on this
ng (due to the use of Ada) about delivering the first  F-16s equipped with
digital flight computers to the USAF.  I am confused.

John

* Re: Jobs at Lockheed Martin
@ 2000-09-29  0:00   ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2000-09-29  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

  William Dale <william.dale.jr@lmco.com> wrote:
> Not sure where you are located but there is no interest in Ada at LM
> Mussels and Space, Sunnyvale. THAAD is converting all of its Missile
> Ada code to C++.   I work on the only piece of new Ada being done
> here.

Hmmm. A classic sign of stupid management. The nice thing about Ada
projects is that idiot managers don't like them, so you don't work under
as many of them. :-)

I was in a similar situation in a (thankfully small) group in Orlando a
few years back. They actually had an entire *new* working commercial
engine controller done in Ada that they converted to C++ on their own
dime. Apparently the manager in charge decided Ada wasn't fashionable
enough. Why a customer would care what language their COTS engine
controler was written in (as long as it performs to spec) was never
explained.

I was actually present in the lab (working on my Ada project) when a
customer from India was being shown around. When the customer was told
about the porting effort, he incrediously asked why we would want to do
such a thing. The answer the manager gave him was, "that's what our
customers want." (told *to* a customer). I had to bite my lip so hard it
bled. :-)

Of course that particular manager was notoriously incompetent. The
employees would actually take *turns* working for him, as no one could
stand him for more than a few months. I content myself by thinking that
if he wasn't ruining our business he might be off piloting a supertanker
somewhere. :-)

--

@ 2000-09-29  0:00       ` William Dale
From: William Dale @ 2000-09-29  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > > Not sure where you are located but there is no interest in Ada at LM
> > > Mussels and Space, Sunnyvale. THAAD is converting all of its Missile Ada
> > > code to C++.   I work on the only piece of new Ada being done here.
> >
> > Do a good job !!!

[snip]

> On the bright side once all of the projects eventually move over to C and
> Java I will have no reason
> to stay at the company and I can leave and get a pay raise!

We just lost a Ada FSW programmer to go work on C++ - which he has NO
experience - for $100K per!

C++/Java is winning here in Silly Valley because of the outside job
market.  Everyone wants C++ on their resume so they can bust out to make
BIG bucks.

Bill
Just my take-not LMCO's
LMSSO

* Re: Jobs at Lockheed Martin
@ 2000-09-29  0:00     ` Jeff Creem
From: Jeff Creem @ 2000-09-29  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Larry Kilgallen" <Kilgallen@eisner.decus.org.nospam> wrote in message
> In article <39D36ED9.82FB5D14@lmco.com>, William Dale
<william.dale.jr@lmco.com> writes:
> > Not sure where you are located but there is no interest in Ada at LM
> > Mussels and Space, Sunnyvale. THAAD is converting all of its Missile Ada
> > code to C++.   I work on the only piece of new Ada being done here.
>
> Do a good job !!!

Well..That could not hurt but in my experience on a mdium sized project with
a >100,000 SLOC Ada
portion (with a fairly heavy documentation set / formal test set associated
with it, plus embedded and
tough real time contraints) and another >40,000 SLOC C part with very light
documentation and almost
no embedded real-time, the Ada side had slightly better overall SLOC per day
productivity and
problem density numbers but management is running from Ada as fast as they
can into the mouth of C and
Java.. Even worse, if you looked at the standard tools you would think we
were a web page developer company
(Java, Front Page, etc) when > 90% of the work is embedded.

@ 2000-09-29  0:00   ` Ehud Lamm
From: Ehud Lamm @ 2000-09-29  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 28 Sep 2000, Michael S. Simpson wrote:

|As the area code is 770 (Atlanta, GA area), I would say that it's for
|Marietta, GA...probably the F-22 or C-130J programs.  Both of them are
|short of people and way behind schedule.  If you're looking for a
|pressure cooker environment, that's the place.  I know...been there;
|done that!

Now what did I learn about adding people to a late project?  ;-)

Ehud Lamm mslamm@mscc.huji.ac.il
http://purl.oclc.org/NET/ehudlamm <== My home on the web
http://lambda.weblogs.com <== The Programming Languages Blog

* Re: Jobs at Lockheed Martin
@ 2000-09-29  0:00     ` Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 2000-09-29  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ken Garlington wrote:

> If you're interested in getting a job at Fort Worth, please feel free to
> send your resume to me. I think the going rate for bringing someone with
> critically needed skills into the company is now something like $5,000 a
> head. I'd be happy to split it with you :)

Actually, I'm pretty happy doing what I'm doing now - which is at least in
part, providing services to LockMart. I'd be more interested in how we might
provide services (either outsourcing of computer work, specialized consulting
or just plain meatware) to new branches of LockMart. We've got some very
talented people here (including lots of Ada expertise) and we're always
looking to expand.

Or you could come on board with us and I'll split *our* signing bonus with
you. :-)

From: Marin David Condic @ 2000-09-29  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

William Dale wrote:

> Not sure where you are located but there is no interest in Ada at LM
> Mussels and Space, Sunnyvale. THAAD is converting all of its Missile Ada
> code to C++.   I work on the only piece of new Ada being done here.

That seems a shame. Its like taking a step backwards. And it sure puts
things at risk due to the lack of safety features compared to Ada.

@ 2000-09-29  1:36   ` Ken Garlington
From: Ken Garlington @ 2000-09-29  1:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

If anyone wants to see details about the jobs available at Lockheed Martin
(Marietta, GA or otherwise), check out

http://lmpeople.external.lmco.com/careers/Careers.asp

Typing in the keyword "Ada brought up 391 positions, for example.

"Marin David Condic" <mcondic.nospam@acm.org> wrote in message
> Phil Turke wrote:
>
> > If you have a Bachelors Degree and ADA experience, Lockheed Martin is
> > looking for a few great candidates.  Please fax your resume to the
> > attention of :  Linda Holtz at 770-494-6617.
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> You did not say much about the job - like where it is located and what
> sort of work would be done. (Also, it should be spelled "Ada" - not
> "ADA". :-) You might get a better (or at least more focused) response if
> you provide a few more details.
>
> MDC
> --
> Marin David Condic - Quadrus Corporation - http://www.quadruscorp.com/
> Send Replies To: m c o n d i c @ q u a d r u s c o r p . c o m
> Visit my web site at:  http://www.mcondic.com/
>
>     "Giving money and power to Government is like giving whiskey
>     and car keys to teenage boys."
>
>         --   P. J. O'Rourke

* Re: Jobs at Lockheed Martin
@ 2000-09-29  2:25   ` Ken Garlington
From: Ken Garlington @ 2000-09-29  2:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

"John Magness" <jmagness@swbell.net> wrote in message

> Phil Turke wrote:
>
> > If you have a Bachelors Degree and ADA experience, Lockheed Martin is
> > looking for a few great candidates.  Please fax your resume to the
> > attention of :  Linda Holtz at 770-494-6617.
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> Having just gone through a several month hunt for Ada employment on the
> internet,
> I found that at www.dice.com a search on "Ada" would produce anywhere
> from 190 to ~ 230 hits on postings no more than 30 days old.  Of these
> about 25% to 35 % of these hits were Lockheed for direct employment.  Ten
> to fifteen in Ft. Worth,  primarily for the F-16 flight software
> (transitioning from an analog to digital flight computer)

I couldn't find this particular item on dice.com, could you send me more
information? I'm interested since the production F-16 transitioned from an
analog to a digital flight control computer roughly 15 years ago! The F-16XL
was upgraded more recently, but as far as I know that work is already
complete.

> but also a few
> positions for the F-22 flight software.

There are a number of openings for Ada-savvy engineers at Fort Worth, on
F-22 and other programs. Go to

http://lmpeople.external.lmco.com/careers/search.asp

and search for requirement numbers  10639, 19553, 21097, 21384, and 21389.
Some of these are looking for more than one person.

> The Marietta positions were for
> various positions for an F-22 simulator (might be a real time systems
> integration lab,
> the posts were not clear).

Marietta has an urgent need for Ada-knowledgeable engineers for both flying
and ground-based software, I think even more so than Fort Worth. See the web
page referenced above.

> These showed up as direct and contract.  LM
> also had a lot of positions on the East coast (which I consider the mosh
> pit of the US).
>
>         As for me, it looks as if I'll end up here in Houston on the ISS
> at Boeing.
> John

* Re: Jobs at Lockheed Martin
@ 2000-09-30  1:22       ` Ken Garlington
From: Ken Garlington @ 2000-09-30  1:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

> My error.  go to www.careerMozaic.com  I did just now -- search on
Ada"  -- &
> Texas for the state.
> 47 hits, 3 or 4 were bogus (American Disabilities Act, etc.)  but
approximately
> 40 of them are for LM in Dallas/Ft. Worth. And many of those are for the
F-16.
> Which block was the first to use a digital flight computer? I worked on
the
> flight simulators simulators for aircraft blocks 30, 40, and 50 in the
late 80's
> and recall no mention of a digital flight computer.  But, hey -- that
doesn't
> mean allot.

The digital flight control computer was an upgrade for the Block 40
configuration. First flight was in 1987. See

http://www.codeonemagazine.com/archives/1997/articles/jul_97/jul4_97_p.html

http://www.flash.net/~kennieg/dflcsff.jpg

http://www.flash.net/~kennieg/dflcs.jpg

The production F-16 digital flight control computer is currently programmed
in the JOVIAL language, whereas the F-22 digital flight control system is
programmed in Ada.

>     Also several months ago there were several congratulatory postings on
this
> ng (due to the use of Ada) about delivering the first  F-16s equipped with
> digital flight computers to the USAF.  I am confused.

I believe you're thinking of the F-16 MMC (Modular Mission Computer), which
is an upgrade to the (already-digital) airborne mission avionics. Part of
this upgrade was to implement the mission algorithms in Ada. See

http://www.lmtas.com/News/Press/F16/f16pr000706.html

The digital flight control computer is an entirely separate system.

* Re: Jobs at Lockheed Martin
@ 2000-10-02  0:00     ` Jerry Petrey
From: Jerry Petrey @ 2000-10-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Dennison wrote:

> In article <39D36ED9.82FB5D14@lmco.com>,
>   William Dale <william.dale.jr@lmco.com> wrote:
> > Not sure where you are located but there is no interest in Ada at LM
> > Mussels and Space, Sunnyvale. THAAD is converting all of its Missile
> > Ada code to C++.   I work on the only piece of new Ada being done
> > here.
>
> Hmmm. A classic sign of stupid management. The nice thing about Ada
> projects is that idiot managers don't like them, so you don't work under
> as many of them. :-)
>
> I was in a similar situation in a (thankfully small) group in Orlando a
> few years back. They actually had an entire *new* working commercial
> engine controller done in Ada that they converted to C++ on their own
> dime. Apparently the manager in charge decided Ada wasn't fashionable
> enough. Why a customer would care what language their COTS engine
> controler was written in (as long as it performs to spec) was never
> explained.
>
> I was actually present in the lab (working on my Ada project) when a
> customer from India was being shown around. When the customer was told
> about the porting effort, he incrediously asked why we would want to do
> such a thing. The answer the manager gave him was, "that's what our
> customers want." (told *to* a customer). I had to bite my lip so hard it
> bled. :-)
>
> Of course that particular manager was notoriously incompetent. The
> employees would actually take *turns* working for him, as no one could
> stand him for more than a few months. I content myself by thinking that
> if he wasn't ruining our business he might be off piloting a supertanker
> somewhere. :-)
>
> --
> T.E.D.
>
> http://www.telepath.com/~dennison/Ted/TED.html
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

I worked on that project with T.E.D. (in fact I had an article in
"Embedded Systems
Programming" about it) before it was converted to C++.  T.E.D. is right
about the
management.  It was amazing they chose Ada in the first place.  I
remember once
when the built in test that I wrote kept showing an error with the
EEPROM, they
insisted I comment it out so the customer would not see it.  Later the
CPU board
maker contacted us to say we had a board with a bad EEPROM (part of a
batch of bad
ones they got from their supplier).

Where so many managers like this come from I'll never know.

Jerry

-- Jerry Petrey
-- Senior Principal Systems Engineer - Member Team Ada & Team Forth
-- Raytheon Missile Systems
-- NOTE: please remove NOSPAM in email address to reply

* Re: Jobs at Lockheed Martin
@ 2000-10-02  0:00       ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2000-10-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <39D8AAD2.12CAA078@west.raytheon.com>,
  Jerry Petrey <jdpetreyNOSPAM@west.raytheon.com> wrote:
> I worked on that project with T.E.D. (in fact I had an article in
> "Embedded Systems Programming" about it) before it was converted to

Ahhh...that's right. But Jerry gives me too much credit. I never worked
on that particular project (save for a 3 week stint that I spent
investigating the new multicasting features of TCP/IP for that same
bipolar goofbal).

> Where so many managers like this come from I'll never know.
I suspect HR cruises the outpatient mental clinics looking for guys with
good hair. :-)

--

@ 2000-10-02  0:00         ` Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 2000-10-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Dennison wrote:

> > Where so many managers like this come from I'll never know.
> I suspect HR cruises the outpatient mental clinics looking for guys with
> good hair. :-)

I thought it was done by measuring Brain to Bladder ratio. :-)

@ 2000-10-07  0:00     ` David Kristola
From: David Kristola @ 2000-10-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 29 Sep 2000 16:15:26 -0700, Ted Dennison wrote
(in message <8r37q9$o4u$1@nnrp1.deja.com>):

> In article <39D36ED9.82FB5D14@lmco.com>,
>   William Dale <william.dale.jr@lmco.com> wrote:
>> Not sure where you are located but there is no interest in Ada at LM
>> Mussels and Space, Sunnyvale. THAAD is converting all of its Missile
>> Ada code to C++.   I work on the only piece of new Ada being done
>> here.

They are also converting their FORTRAN simulation code to C++.

> Hmmm. A classic sign of stupid management. The nice thing about Ada projects
> is that idiot managers don't like them, so you don't work under as many of
> them. :-)

I know some of the key players on the THAAD team.  They are not idiots.
They are smart, experienced, good engineers who don't like Ada.

I have no doubt that they will build successful flight software using
C++.  People working on the project will learn a new language, and in
a few years, i would expect that many of those people will have moved
on to other jobs in the valley.

--
--djk, keeper of arcane lore & trivial fluff
Home: David95036 plus 1 at america on-line

* Re: Jobs at Lockheed Martin
@ 2000-10-09  0:00       ` William Dale
From: William Dale @ 2000-10-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Kristola wrote:

SNIP

> I know some of the key players on the THAAD team.  They are not idiots.
> They are smart, experienced, good engineers who don't like Ada.
>
> I have no doubt that they will build successful flight software using
> C++.  People working on the project will learn a new language, and in
> a few years, i would expect that many of those people will have moved
> on to other jobs in the valley.

Yes, I agree. They are just the types who are needed in an organization
where the software process is ad hoc, chaotic, and success depends on
individual effort and heroics.  I.E. its a usual LMSSO project.  I tried
to write a SDP for them with Coding Standards.  They would not have any
such thing.  Pier Reviews? Don't need them.

I'm working on Ada95 elsewhere at LMSSO now.

> --
> --djk, keeper of arcane lore & trivial fluff
> Home: David95036 plus 1 at america on-line
> Spam: goto.hades@welovespam.com

Bill Dale
Just my opinion - not that of LMSSO ... sorry to say.

* Re: Jobs at Lockheed Martin
@ 2000-10-09  0:00         ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2000-10-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

William Dale wrote:

> to write a SDP for them with Coding Standards.  They would not have any
> such thing.  Pier Reviews? Don't need them.

"Pier Reviews"? A Freudian slip perhaps? :-)

I know I've often felt like I was being led down a pier at swordpoint...

--
T.E.D.

Home - mailto:dennison@telepath.com  Work - mailto:dennison@ssd.fsi.com
WWW  - http://www.telepath.com/dennison/Ted/TED.html  ICQ  - 10545591

* Re: Jobs at Lockheed Martin
@ 2000-10-09  0:00       ` Lao Xiao Hai
From: Lao Xiao Hai @ 2000-10-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Kristola wrote:

> I know some of the key players on the THAAD team.  They are not idiots.
> They are smart, experienced, good engineers who don't like Ada.

Another case of smart people making a stupendously stupid decision.

> I have no doubt that they will build successful flight software using
> C++.  People working on the project will learn a new language, and in
> a few years, i would expect that many of those people will have moved
> on to other jobs in the valley.

Several good points.   They "will learn a new language" and only realize
too late how dreadful that new language is when they have an understanding
of the details.  I already see this happening in other organizations that have
made the mistake of selecting C++ instead of Ada.   Once they are commited
to this error, they have little choice but to continue and do the best they can
with a bad choice.

The second good point is that C++ is not a decision based on technical merit
but on future job opportunities.    Were they choosing on the basis of technical
merit, Ada would be the correct option.

It is odd that people who do not really understand C++ decide to use it instead of

Ada.   Anyone who chooses C++ instead of Ada either, 1) does not understand
Ada, 2) does not understand C++, 3) does not understand either one, or 4) has
some agenda that is not based on technical merit.

Richard Riehle

* Re: Jobs at Lockheed Martin
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2000-10-29  0:47 ` Daniel Allex
From: Daniel Allex @ 2000-10-29  0:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

The correct spelling is Ada.  ADA stands for the American Dental
Association.  Every book and introductory course on Ada states this right
off the bat!

Phil Turke wrote:

> If you have a Bachelors Degree and ADA experience, Lockheed Martin is
> looking for a few great candidates.  Please fax your resume to the
> attention of :  Linda Holtz at 770-494-6617.
>
> Thanks.

* Re: Jobs at Lockheed Martin
@ 2000-10-29  1:49   ` Martin
From: Martin @ 2000-10-29  1:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Daniel Allex wrote:

> The correct spelling is Ada.  ADA stands for the American Dental
> Association.  Every book and introductory course on Ada states this right
> off the bat!
>
> Phil Turke wrote:
>
> > If you have a Bachelors Degree and ADA experience, Lockheed Martin is
> > looking for a few great candidates.  Please fax your resume to the
> > attention of :  Linda Holtz at 770-494-6617.
> >
> > Thanks.

I think your requests for proper spelling of Ada will fall on deaf
ears.  The person who posted that is most likely not an engineer and the
prospective employee probably wouldn't care how the human resources person
spells Ada.

Cheers

- Corey

* Re: Jobs at Lockheed Martin
@ 2000-10-29 11:59     ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2000-10-29 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <39FB8280.A6D10A7D@yahoo.com>, Martin <mugugaipin@yahoo.com> writes:
> Daniel Allex wrote:
>>
>> The correct spelling is Ada.  ADA stands for the American Dental
>> Association.  Every book and introductory course on Ada states this right
>> off the bat!
>>
>> Phil Turke wrote:
>>
>> > If you have a Bachelors Degree and ADA experience, Lockheed Martin is
>> > looking for a few great candidates.  Please fax your resume to the
>> > attention of :  Linda Holtz at 770-494-6617.
>> >
>> > Thanks.
>
> I think your requests for proper spelling of Ada will fall on deaf
> ears.  The person who posted that is most likely not an engineer and the
> prospective employee probably wouldn't care how the human resources person
> spells Ada.

If Personnel cannot spell the language name correctly (i.e., does not
have their work reviewed by Engineering).  Perhaps Payroll will not
spell the name of the new employee correctly.

Some might feel a company-wide commitment to Quality is required if
it is to work in Engineering.

* Re: Jobs at Lockheed Martin
@ 2000-10-29 14:13       ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2000-10-29 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Larry Kilgallen wrote:

> If Personnel cannot spell the language name correctly (i.e., does not
> have their work reviewed by Engineering).  Perhaps Payroll will not

When I was with that company, I'm not sure "human resources" could spell their own
names correctly...

--

@ 2000-10-30 17:30         ` John Cupak
From: John Cupak @ 2000-10-30 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have to second that sentiment! Been there, done that!

John Cupak