From: john@assen.demon.co.uk.nospam (John McCabe)
Subject: Re: Memory leakage
Date: 2000/10/09
Date: 2000-10-09T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

James Squire <james.a.squire@boeing.com> wrote:

>My impression is that in Ada 95 it should not be possible to have memory
>leaks, but I'm not so sure.  I suspect it is a lot more difficult, but
>is it indeed impossible?

It's dead easy - especially if, when you first start using access
types heavily, you forget that Ada doesn't have a garbage collector to
mop up all the dross you've left behind.

>As for tools help track down memory leaks, I can only find Plummer and
>possibly Rational's Purify (does it support Ada?).  Are there any
>others?

On Solaris, try

df -k /tmp

If the swap space size is gradually decreasing (not just the free
stuff, the actual overall area) then you've probably got a memory
leak.

Best Regards
John McCabe <john@assen.demon.co.uk>