From: ggwy@cs.rmit.edu.au (Geoffrey Gar-Wah Yu)
Subject: Re: New Ada Student
Date: 2000/09/28
Date: 2000-09-28T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

David Michaels <free08@my-deja.com> writes:

>Hi I am a brand new Ada student, I'm enrolled in a computer science
>course at a univ cinci, I'm takeing Ada as a elective so be kind with
>any flames. This is my first post to this news group. And I promise I
>won't post again unless its urgent.

>My teacher is instucting using Feldman/Koffman Ada 95 the software he is
>using is gnat3.11p and the Adaguide i'm not sure if I spelled that write
>it's the ide for windows, he is running windows 98

>I run solaris x86 and I'm using gnat3.12p and grasp.

>Does anyone have any opinions as to whether or not my programs will
>compile and link on the schools windows machines? I am concerned about
>compatibility between platforms and versions.

The Ada language was developed so that when any 'language' changes were
finalised and published then all future compilers/parsers/interpreters..
anything to do with the Ada language had to be compliant. Unlike languages
like C or C++ different companies added there own flavour to the language
and so sometimes it was uncertain to get 100% platform compatabible. However
I'm not sure how accurate each Ada compiler has to be to the language...
but there are very strict standards to keep the language clean from
varying current versions.

I find that Ada was pretty solid on the PC and UNIX platforms... I used
them at uni. I mean I can't remember if I had any troubles recompiling
source from PC to UNIX and vice versa without no platform dependent errors...

So I think it should be ok... And since you are using AdaGIDE that uses
GNAT... it is pretty solid on the PC and UNIX platforms. So I think you
shouldn't have many problems transporting your code from your Solaris
to Windows platform...

Hope this helps

Geoffrey
--
                 / ||             GEOFFREY YU             || \