* Need help on file parameter input
@ 1994-11-04  4:22 srghsjm
From: srghsjm @ 1994-11-04  4:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Some time ago (that means, at least a year) sometime posted a package
on comp.lang.ada for parsing data items from a separate file specified
as variable objects, a bit like the following:

A := 1.2345
S := "A STRING"

At the time I thought "I'll have to pick that up...", and didn't...
Now I have a need for such a package...

Does anyone remember this posting, or what it was called ?  If I had
a name then I could search around for it.  Lacking a name and any other
details, I'm reduced to exhaustive searching of likely filenames and
package details, and it's got me nowhere.

I'd be grateful for any information that anyone can give me.

Stephen

| Stephen McNeill                       Phone   : +64-4-569 0180           |
| Image Processing Team                 Direct  : +64-4-569 0183           |
| Landcare Research New Zealand Ltd     FAX     : +64-4-569 0181           |
| Box 38-491                            Internet: srghsjm@gih.grace.cri.nz |
| Wellington Mail Centre                Omnet   : s.mcneill                |
| New Zealand                           Packet  : zl4hg @ zl4hg.wlg.nzl.oc |

* RE: Need help on file parameter input
@ 1994-11-05  2:01 ` srghsjm
From: srghsjm @ 1994-11-05  2:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

In Article <39cdks$ndh@zephyr.grace.cri.nz>
srghsjm@grv.grace.cri.nz writes:

>Some time ago (that means, at least a year) sometime posted a package
>on comp.lang.ada for parsing data items from a separate file specified
>as variable objects, a bit like the following:
>
>A := 1.2345
>S := "A STRING"
>
>At the time I thought "I'll have to pick that up...", and didn't...
>Now I have a need for such a package...
>
>Does anyone remember this posting, or what it was called ?
>
>| Stephen McNeill

To follow up on my own question...  I had mail from several people who managed
to point me in the right direction.  The package I had remembered, but could
not remember a name for is the Woodruff collection.  The package is located
in the PAL (where else !) and a heavily edited summary of the details is given
below.  The bit I was interested in was the name_io package.

Many thanks to those who helped.

Stephen

| Stephen McNeill                       Phone   : +64-4-569 0180           |
| Image Processing Team                 Direct  : +64-4-569 0183           |
| Landcare Research New Zealand Ltd     FAX     : +64-4-569 0181           |
| Box 38-491                            Internet: srghsjm@gih.grace.cri.nz |
| Wellington Mail Centre                Omnet   : s.mcneill                |
| New Zealand                           Packet  : zl4hg @ zl4hg.wlg.nzl.oc |

------------------------------
1. Taxonomy:
    SOFTWARE COMPONENTS
        WOODRUFF COLLECTION
------------------------------
2. Author:
    John P Woodruff
    Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
    PO Box 808
    Livermore CA 94550
    (510) 422 4661
------------------------------
3. Rights:
    Released to the Ada community; distribution unlimited
------------------------------
4. Abstract:
Woodruff Collection of Reusable Components for I/O in Ada

The complete list of items being submitted is
  Set_Of
  Input_Collection
  Polite_IO
  Matrix_IO
  Name_IO
  Test_Name_IO

1. Set_of
This is an implementation of the generic Set type, patterned after
the Pascal language Set type.

2. Input_Collection
    Input Collection is a repository of user inputs that are to be
dispensed to individual Objects at the beginning of a simulation run.
The input is obtained from some file(s) and retained in this package
until called for by some object.

3. Polite_IO
    Provide a polite, refined input organ for interactive data input.
The idea for this package comes from the package SafeIO in the Simtel20
repository, by J A Anderson of Texas Instruments.

4. Matrix_IO
  Matrix_IO provides a full set of IO services based on text_io that
can read and write Vectors and Matrices.  The interface entry names and
parameter signatures exactly duplicate the procedures in long_float_text_io.

5. Name_IO
  Name_IO implements name-directed input in a generic package.
The package is able to deliver values bound to variables from an input
stream that looks like:
      A = 1.0 ;               		 a floating scalar
      V := 3, 4, 5 ;				 a three-vector
      Filename => "Test.dat;2" ;		 a string
      Enum  = Users_Enumerated_Constant ;	 Enumeration value

      The format for the input to be parsed is a sequence of
    {  <Ada_Id> [assignment] <Value> ; }.
  <Ada_Id> is any legal Ada identifier.
  The optional [assignment] can be any of "=", ":=", or "=>".
  Semicolon separators are required between assignments.
  The form of <Value> is determined by the type of
the variable, and is defined by Polite_IO.Float_Decode for floating
values, and by Matrix_IO.Get for vectors and matrices.
(The semicolon forms a terminator on a string that will be
parsed as a value, without placing any lexical requirement on
value, allowing the generic get_item to deliver an enumerated value.)

5. Directory Listing:

languages/ada/swcomps/woodruff.zip:
  File Name                 Size
  woodruff.zip            54,875