From: dodger@gcr.com (Roger Labbe)
Subject: Re: DOS GNAT 1.83 returns 'unknown file type' on compilation
Date: 3 Nov 1994 15:01:27 -0500
Date: 1994-11-03T15:01:27-05:00	[thread overview]

"Bennett, Chip (KTR) ~U" <BennettC@J64.STRATCOM.AF.MIL> writes:

>Where did you get that the "-c" had to be after the file name?  We have gnat
>for SunOS and DOS.  Both allow "gcc -c hello.adb".  Could this have
>something to do with the problem?

If I type gcc at the c:, I get back
 c:/djgpp/bin/gcc.exe version 1.10oe2 Copyright (C) 1991 DJ Delorie
Usage c:/djgpp/bin/gcc [program [options . . . ]]

if I type gcc -c hello.adb I get the message
Can't open file <-c>

If I type gcc hello.adb -c I get the unknown file type message. I get
the same error if I leave out the -c.

>I wonder if you are picking up an old version of gcc, from somewhere in your
>path, that was not designed to handle gnat.

I did not have gcc installed before I installed GNAT. If I do a search in
all directories for gcc.* I only find gcc.exe in c:\djgpp\bin.

Several people have emailed me suggesting other things; I get the
impression that all had gcc installed before GNAT. I used the 'minimal
gcc installation' provided with the GNAT distribution. My suspicions are
that if I install a full gcc, then install gnat, things will work.

I guess I better email gnat-report as someone suggested.

Roger Labbe