From: andrew@knuut.de (Andrew Lynch)
Subject: Re: Problem porting VADS to GNAT
Date: 06 Sep 2000 19:36:58 GMT
Date: 2000-09-06T19:36:58+00:00	[thread overview]

Nick Roberts (nickroberts@callnetuk.com) wrote:
: My interpretation of the ARM 83 (13.1) is that the VADS compiler (an Ada 83
: compiler) is entitled to allow the representation clauses where they are
: (but another Ada 83 compiler would be within its rights to reject them).

Ok, thanks for the info. I've now had the time for a closer look at the '83 RM
and 13.1(6) makes me wonder if VADS is indeed entitled to do this:

"In the case of a type, certain occurences of its name imply that the
representation of the type must already have been determined. [...]
In any case, an occurrence within an expression is always forcing."

I think that the discriminant and its default expression would fit the above.
Or does the occurence of the _type_ only mean things such as Numbers'First?

Either way this code is not exactly portable, which is one of the reasons
we are still farting around with VADS. :-(

Andrew.