* Re: Installing GLIDE on a Win98
@ 2000-08-28  0:00 ` Jerry van Dijk
From: Jerry van Dijk @ 2000-08-28  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> File names: emacs-20.7-fullbin-i386.tar.gz
>                   glide-3.13p-src.tgz
>                   gnat-3.13p-nt.exe

First of all: GLIDE will work fine with ntemacs 20.7.1. I know,
it's what I use all day :-)

> I uninstalled everything. Can anybody give me step by step
> plan on how to get this running?

The problem is that the GLIDE source distribution is geared
towards unix systems. But installing the NT version is quite
straightforward.

1. install GNAT.

2. Install emacs

3. unpack the GLIDE sources in a temporary directory

4. modify the glide.bat file so that GLIDE_BASE specifies
     your emacs installation directory

5. compile the glideint program ('gnatmake glideint')

6. compile the glide_gui program ('gnatmake glide_gui')

7. copy glide.bat, glideint.exe and glide_gui.exe to your
    emacs\bin directory

8. copy the following files to your emacs\site-lisp directory:

      ada-mode.el
      ada-prj.el
      ada-stmt.el
      ada-support.el
      ada-xref.el
      cua-mode.el
      glide-debug.el
      glide.el

9. Create a shortcut on your desktop to the glide.bat file in
     the emacs/bin directory. You can pick an icon for it from
     the collection you will find in the emacs/etc/icon directory.

10. double click on the shortcut to start GLIDE.

       (side note: the GLIDE tutorial and documentation can be
        found in the GNAT documentation package)

      in GLIDE, press 'Alt-X', and on the command prompt
      type 'ada-mode'.

      Now type 'Ctrl-X d', and on the command promt type the
      path to your emacs\site-lisp directory.

      You should now see a directory listing containing the .el
      files you copied before. Move the cursor to each .el file and
      press 'SHIFT-B' to byte compile it.

That's it. Press 'Ctrl-x Ctrl-c' to exit GLIDE, and you are all set
to start using glide.

Success,
Jerry.

--  Jerry van Dijk  | email: jdijk@acm.org
--  Team-Ada        | web:   stad.dsl.nl/~jvandyk
--  Paris, France   | Leiden, Holland

* Installing GLIDE on a Win98
@ 2000-08-28  3:27 Robert T. Sagris
From: Robert T. Sagris @ 2000-08-28  3:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

I seem to be having problems installing the GLIDE IDE on my system.

I downloaded  gnat 3.13p for Win 98/NT, the glide sources package and
emacs 20.7 for NT.

File names: emacs-20.7-fullbin-i386.tar.gz
                  glide-3.13p-src.tgz
                  gnat-3.13p-nt.exe

I installed gnat and emacs. I then ran the build script ./doinstall for
glide under cygwin (latest version). I also ran gnatmake on the proper
file that the README said to build. I placed the .el files in the lisp
directory under the emacs20.7 directory. There was no site-lisp
directory created when I installed this version.

I moved the executable gnatmake made to my c:\gnat\bin. But when I run
it gives an
error about emacs not being in the path.

I uninstalled everything. Can anybody give me step by step plan on how
to get this
running? I would like to try it out. I still have the three files and
could use a some advise. I don't know my way around emacs that well, (I
know how to type in it and get syntax high lighting that's about it) so
I need to know how to byte compile .el files.

Thanks for any help you can give me,

Robbi Sagris