From: Ted Dennison <dennison@telepath.com>
Subject: Re: NT Service, WinSock
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 03:27:37 GMT
Date: 2000-10-31T03:27:37+00:00	[thread overview]

Randy Brukardt wrote:

> I probably would have written a package something like yours, but I
> discovered a program called "srvany.exe" on one of the Microsoft CD's.
> It allows any console program to be run as a service. For my
> applications (to be used only by me), that is sufficient, so I've just
> been using it with Ada console applications.

I've heard of it, and I agree with your assessment. I discounted it for my
puposes for a couple of reasons

If I remember correctly it doesn't come on the standard NT OS disk. I think
its on a system adminsitration pack of some sort. Let's do a help
search.....Its on "The Windows NT Resource Kit", whatever that is. It looks
like you can download it for free, if you can find it in their labryinthian
site. Any facility that uses it would require the user to do this, as its
license certianly doesn't allow me to distribute copies.  That's an OK
solution for personal use if you happen to already have it laying around.

There are also some other various freeware or shareware programs that do
almost the same thing as srvany. But they all seem to have some extra
limitation that srvany doesn't have. Also, a custom service could do things
like restart the process when it dies (something that happens to seti every
now and then when it can't connect to turn in work units).

--
T.E.D.

Home - mailto:dennison@telepath.com  Work - mailto:dennison@ssd.fsi.com
WWW  - http://www.telepath.com/dennison/Ted/TED.html  ICQ  - 10545591