* RSA implementation?
@ 2000-10-22  0:00 Julian Morrison
From: Julian Morrison @ 2000-10-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there any GPL compatible Ada code out there that anyone knows of, that can
do RSA encryption?

* Re: RSA implementation?
@ 2000-10-23  0:00 ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2000-10-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <Z6KI5.6765$bL1.147199@news6-win.server.ntlworld.com>, "Julian Morrison" <julian.morrison@virgin.net> writes:
> Is there any GPL compatible Ada code out there that anyone knows of, that can
> do RSA encryption?

Out of curiosity, what do you mean by "GPL compatible" ?

* Re: RSA implementation?
@ 2000-10-23  0:00 ` Thierry Lelegard
From: Thierry Lelegard @ 2000-10-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Is there any GPL compatible Ada code out there that anyone knows of, that can
> do RSA encryption?

Isn't there a software patent from RSA Data Security Inc. for RSA
encryption? If this is true, there should not be any GPL implementation.

Thierry Lelegard, "The Jazzing Troll", Email: thierry.lelegard@canal-plus.fr
CANAL+ Technologies, 34 place Raoul Dautry, 75516 Paris Cedex 15, France
Tel: +33 1 71 71 54 30   Fax: +33 1 71 71 52 08   Mobile: +33 6 03 00 65 75

* Re: RSA implementation?
@ 2000-10-23  0:00   ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2000-10-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Thierry Lelegard" <thierry.lelegard@canal-plus.fr> writes:

> > Is there any GPL compatible Ada code out there that anyone knows of, that can
> > do RSA encryption?
>
> Isn't there a software patent from RSA Data Security Inc. for RSA
> encryption? If this is true, there should not be any GPL implementation.

The patent expired last month.

--
Florian Weimer 	                  Florian.Weimer@RUS.Uni-Stuttgart.DE
University of Stuttgart           http://cert.uni-stuttgart.de/

From: Florian Weimer @ 2000-10-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kilgallen@eisner.decus.org.nospam (Larry Kilgallen) writes:

> > Is there any GPL compatible Ada code out there that anyone knows of, that can
> > do RSA encryption?
>
> Out of curiosity, what do you mean by "GPL compatible" ?

It's a software licensing issue.  "GPL compatible" means "can be used
together with code released under the GPL".

From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2000-10-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <tgwvezeopl.fsf@mercury.rus.uni-stuttgart.de>, Florian Weimer <Florian.Weimer@RUS.Uni-Stuttgart.DE> writes:
> "Thierry Lelegard" <thierry.lelegard@canal-plus.fr> writes:
>
>> > Is there any GPL compatible Ada code out there that anyone knows of, that can
>> > do RSA encryption?
>>
>> Isn't there a software patent from RSA Data Security Inc. for RSA
>> encryption? If this is true, there should not be any GPL implementation.
>
> The patent expired last month.

The patent also only applied in the United States.

From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2000-10-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <tgsnpneonx.fsf@mercury.rus.uni-stuttgart.de>, Florian Weimer <Florian.Weimer@RUS.Uni-Stuttgart.DE> writes:
> Kilgallen@eisner.decus.org.nospam (Larry Kilgallen) writes:
>
>> > Is there any GPL compatible Ada code out there that anyone knows of, that can
>> > do RSA encryption?
>>
>> Out of curiosity, what do you mean by "GPL compatible" ?
>
> It's a software licensing issue.  "GPL compatible" means "can be used
> together with code released under the GPL".

Are you certain Julian Morrison meant nothing more specific ?

Might it not have been "can be bound into an image with code licensed
under the GPL" or "can be invoked as a shareable image from code licensed
under the GPL" ?  In that latter sense, Windows NT is "GPL compatible".

* Re: RSA implementation?
@ 2000-10-24  0:00 ` David Kristola
From: David Kristola @ 2000-10-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 22 Oct 2000 15:49:02 -0700, Julian Morrison wrote
(in message <Z6KI5.6765$bL1.147199@news6-win.server.ntlworld.com>):

> Is there any GPL compatible Ada code out there that anyone knows of, that can
> do RSA encryption?

MD5 is available from:
http://www.adapower.com/alg/Md5.html

I don't know if it meets your compatibility requirements though.

--
--djk, keeper of arcane lore & trivial fluff
Home: David95036 plus 1 at america on-line

* Re: RSA implementation?
@ 2000-10-24  0:00   ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2000-10-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <01HW.B61A8F4100EF2810078EC71C@news.pacbell.net>, David Kristola <David95037@See-My.Sig> writes:
> On Sun, 22 Oct 2000 15:49:02 -0700, Julian Morrison wrote
> (in message <Z6KI5.6765$bL1.147199@news6-win.server.ntlworld.com>):
>
>> Is there any GPL compatible Ada code out there that anyone knows of, that can
>> do RSA encryption?
>
> MD5 is available from:
> http://www.adapower.com/alg/Md5.html
>
> I don't know if it meets your compatibility requirements though.

Thanks for the information; I was not aware of that MD5 implementation.

Although that implementation derives from RSA, the company,
the original poster wanted to get an implementation of RSA, the algorithm,
which is entirely different from MD5.

* Re: RSA implementation?
@ 2000-10-25  3:56       ` Julian Morrison
From: Julian Morrison @ 2000-10-25  3:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Larry Kilgallen wrote:

> >> Out of curiosity, what do you mean by "GPL compatible" ?
> >
> > It's a software licensing issue.  "GPL compatible" means "can be used
> > together with code released under the GPL".
>
> Are you certain Julian Morrison meant nothing more specific ?
>
> Might it not have been "can be bound into an image with code licensed
> under the GPL" or "can be invoked as a shareable image from code licensed
> under the GPL" ?  In that latter sense, Windows NT is "GPL compatible".

GPL compatible in this case means: I can use the package or whatever in creating a GPL'd Ada program. Preferably, as a
nice neat Ada package that I can bundle into the source code distribution and it will just "gnatmake".

* Re: RSA implementation?
@ 2000-10-25  3:58   ` Julian Morrison
From: Julian Morrison @ 2000-10-25  3:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Kristola wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Oct 2000 15:49:02 -0700, Julian Morrison wrote
> (in message <Z6KI5.6765$bL1.147199@news6-win.server.ntlworld.com>):
>
> > Is there any GPL compatible Ada code out there that anyone knows of, that can
> > do RSA encryption?
>
> MD5 is available from:
> http://www.adapower.com/alg/Md5.html
>
> I don't know if it meets your compatibility requirements though.

MD5 is a secure hash (and an ancient, weak one). It's not RSA, although it was
made by the RSA company.